Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 21, 2014, 05:58:25 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: WTH... Steam is NOT coming to Linux?!?  (Read 1762 times)
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »

With the recent brouhaha over Valve software's Steam content delivery service possibly being ported to Linux, this latest bit of news is a bit of a puzzler for many:
Question: Final question, and one I’m sure you’re not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I’d ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you’re also working on a Linux version of Steam?

Doug Lombardi: There’s no Linux version that we’re working on right now.
huh huh huh
As Digitizor and others report, the dream is over...

...or is it?

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »

Why would they? There really isn't a market for linux gaming. Most of the gaming which is done on Linux is done through Wine or some form of Wine anyways.

Strength in Knowledge
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »

Two reasons: proprietary code (of course), and simple numbers. If there's not money to be made, there's no reason for them to spend the time. I don't figure gaming will ever be sufficiently open source, except for games you don't want to play!

- zaine (on Google+)
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »

@Josh:
Most of the gaming which is done on Linux is done through Wine or some form of Wine anyways.
Of course it is.
But Steam isn't about porting so much as content delivery, so find some developers willing to use cross-platform engines (see Unigine, ferinstance) or bundle games that work well in Wine and I guarantee you've got customers.
Besides, everyone I've talked to about this has told me the Mac platform has never been a platform of choice for games, so it's just as mysterious to them why Valve would build an official Mac port that's getting all kinds of fanfare at the moment.
So the question remains, why wouldn't they build Steam for Linux, especially when so much work has already been done on it?
As far as market share, read on...

@Zaine:
At what point does gaming have to be sufficiently open source for Linux users to magically become a gaming force?
Of course proprietary code is always going to be a sticky point for the philosophy-conscientious among the Linux crowd, but you develop Linux ports of quality, popular games and I bet some exceptions will be made.
Besides, nobody said you couldn't have proprietary software on your Linux box, did they?

As far as numbers are concerned, money to be made and the market thereof, simply read here how 2DBoy and Frictional made out with their games:
http://jeffhoogland.blogs...rket-for-linux-games.html
What was that?
10-12% of total profits from a platform that only has 1% of the desktop market?
When asked to donate, Linux users donated almost twice the average?
No market for Linux gaming?  huh

Nuts to both of you...  mad
(ahem... the fresh-roasted kind with an even ratio of peanuts to exotics  cheesy )

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:10:32 AM »

Why would they? There really isn't a market for linux gaming. Most of the gaming which is done on Linux is done through Wine or some form of Wine anyways.

Every game I play these days, with the exception of one, is from Steam or can be run on Linux without the need for Wine. If Steam were to come out for Linux, and somehow all the games I own on Steam were to work on Linux (two very different things), then there'd really be no reason for me to stick with Windows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.11 ]