ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Verbatim 8x dvd+r dl a buck ea

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Yeah, x264 kinda' changes the game.-MilesAhead (August 28, 2010, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm. . . You make it seem like x264 is really good quality with good compression/small file size. But I'm using one of the x264 programs to convert a 650MB AVI to MP4 and the program says it will be 1.4GB. :-\
-Deozaan (August 31, 2010, 03:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm no expert on x264. I use programs that use it.  But is perhaps the .avi standard def while the .mp4 is 1080P or 720P? Are you sizing up? If so, you're going to use more bits.

MilesAhead:
Can get Memorex DL off of NewEgg for $30 for 50 discs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817501023
-cthorpe (August 31, 2010, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you used Memorex DL?  I haven't. I don't know a cheap way to try them. If I buy a 5 pack in brick & mortar store it will prolly cost me $19 to find out if they work in my burners.

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

Hmm. . . You make it seem like x264 is really good quality with good compression/small file size. But I'm using one of the x264 programs to convert a 650MB AVI to MP4 and the program says it will be 1.4GB. :-\
--- End quote ---

I'm no expert on x264. I use programs that use it.  But is perhaps the .avi standard def while the .mp4 is 1080P or 720P? Are you sizing up? If so, you're going to use more bits.
-MilesAhead (August 31, 2010, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Turns out it was actually 2.34GB when it finished converting, but you bring up a good point I hadn't thought about.

But I just checked and the AVI was 720x480 and so is the MP4. So no, it didn't upscale. I didn't customize any settings, I just picked the preset to convert to play on the PS3. What's worse is that I spent all those hours converting the video and the PS3 doesn't even seem to recognize the file. . . >:(

MilesAhead:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I'm no expert on x264. I use programs that use it.  But is perhaps the .avi standard def while the .mp4 is 1080P or 720P? Are you sizing up? If so, you're going to use more bits.
-MilesAhead (August 31, 2010, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Turns out it was actually 2.34GB when it finished converting, but you bring up a good point I hadn't thought about.

But I just checked and the AVI was 720x480 and so is the MP4. So no, it didn't upscale. I didn't customize any settings, I just picked the preset to convert to play on the PS3. What's worse is that I spent all those hours converting the video and the PS3 doesn't even seem to recognize the file. . . >:(
-Deozaan (August 31, 2010, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know what to tell you. I don't have ps3.  I have WD HDTV for USB.  I use BD Rebuilder mostly.  Sometimes I use Quick AVI Creator as it does both xvid and x264. For more control a bit rate calculator comes in handy.  For tools like bit rate calculators I look first on videohelp.com

since it has great search tools for video, audio, subtitle and other tools:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools

Also the biggest determining factor I've found is the quality of the source.  If you have a BluRay video with rich colors you can get a great quality DVD9 using HC encode, or a great quality .m2ts file using BD Rebuilder.  HC enc takes longer as you really need to use 2 pass "best" profile, but it has the advantage you can play it on an upscaling DVD player and get output very close to the original.  BD Rebuilder you need a compatible set top box or BluRay player.

Deozaan:
The only BluRay player I have is a PS3. I'm trying to find something that will convert videos to play on it. I don't care so much about HD (since I can't rip BluRay videos from my PS3) but I do have a number of miscellaneous videos (not movies) on my PC that I would like to be able to copy over and play on my PS3 on the TV.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking.

Back on topic: That sure is a nice price for DL DVDs :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version