topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: UNFINISHED: Copy and Paste from a txt file to a directory  (Read 15616 times)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
UNFINISHED: Copy and Paste from a txt file to a directory
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Here is my ongoing dilemma that I have been trying to fix but due to the nuances of windows and it's interaction with hardware it does not seem to stay fixed long.

I have a MP3 player that will work as a USB device or a Portable Media Player in My Computer.
If I make it look like a USB device, it transfer data at a snails pace. I have not been able to find out why or update firmware and see if that will help. The device is no longer supported by the manufacture but works great and keeps a charge forever.

If I make it look like a Portable Media device, the transfer rates are acceptable.

I have tried all kinds of programs to bulk transfer the files without success. Even the wonderful filebucket! None will see the device when it is in Portable Media Mode. I want the files in a particular order because the order they are transferred will dictate the order they are played.

So my newest idea is to copy a list of the files I want copied to a text file and then read them one by one to be copied to the device using windows copy program.

Example:

copy.txt

c:\a\1.mp3
c:\a\2.mp3
c:\a\3.mp3
c:\b\9.mp3
c:\b\10.mp3

Now I would like to copy all the files to "My Computer\Insignia KIX\Fixed storage" This could also be the only other opened window.

The trick here is to have the program recognize the media player. All the programs I have tried will not recognize the media player in this configuration. Some will let me find the directory in the program but do nothing when running the program.

Any input is always welcomed. Thanks!

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Copy and Paste from a txt file to a directory
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:44 AM »
A question that potential coders might want answered: Can you copy files to your device in windows explorer?
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39 AM »
A question that potential coders might want answered: Can you copy files to your device in windows explorer?

Yes. That is the only way and only program (windows copy) that I have found that will copy the files (other than third party programs ie WinAmp that treat it as a USB drive and therefore very slow). If I copy and paste the files all together, they are NOT copied in sequential order and that is the problem.

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I'm sorry you've had no other responses. Have you tried a simple batch file? I would guess the following...

1) If any file is transferred then they all will

2) A sufficiently long 'pause' command between each copy command might ensure that no one file is copied over before its predecessor (which might mess up your ordering.

3) If such a batch file works then a similar autoIT /autohotkey script could be attempted that could scale up/ down the 'pause's according to the size of the files being copied.
copy c:\letter.txt c:\document

So try a simple batch file for one file and then scale up for lots... and keep us posted.

Peace out!

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Just to clarify, you can copy files from a command prompt?

So when you type at a command prompt:

copy "c:\a\1.mp3" "My Computer\Insignia KIX\Fixed storage"

you get a copy of 1.mp3 in the Fixed Storage folder?

If that's so, then Sleeping Wolf's approach would be a way to go.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Have not tried it in the DOS world but will try and give you guys feedback. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:56 PM by wetsmellydog »

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Have not tried it in the DOS world but will try and give you guys feedback. Thanks!

Well, is this topic closed, wetsmellydog?

Peace out!

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I have not been able to find the device in DOS so using a batch file does not seem doable.

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
Re: UNFINISHED: Copy and Paste from a txt file to a directory
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:38 PM »
It's a old topic... but if you don't could solve this problem, try this.

Copy the files as usual (order don't matter)
Now Use Reorganize 2.3.1
to re-order the files as you wish (alphabetic A-Z or Z-A or custom order)
Speed is not a issue because the soft don't move the files itself, but change the FAT table so it takes only a few seconds.

---Extract from Re-Organize help-------
It's not a surprise that portable MP3 players turned out to be big sellers: They're small, easy to fill with music and energy-saving. And because of the lack of moving parts, they may even be considered to be the perfect music players for all kinds of sports. Sadly, many makers didn't think about ease of use. A common problem: The player refuses to play tracks in a user-defined order.

ReOrganize! is able to solve this problem in many cases. You can freely move track by track or sort them all with just one click. The program also supports file up- & download and ID3 tags. It even features a small media player for prelistening tracks, rivalling many "Audio Managers" shipped with most players.

I hope this help you.
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry

DougalS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: UNFINISHED: Copy and Paste from a txt file to a directory
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:06 PM »
I have not been able to find the device in DOS so using a batch file does not seem doable.

You won't be able to use the command processor (artist previously known as DOS) copy command because it doesn't understand UNC paths or special folders, only drive letters. So unless you can map a drive letter to the device you won't be able to access it that way, and if you could you should be able to just copy them with Explorer.

Is this still required? If so I may be able to help with a script (which can access special folders and UNC paths). Do you want to select the files from a list or will you create the txt file list yourself? Are you using XP or Vista/7? Do you have MS Access installed (affects what file browse libraries are available)?