ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 + NAS drive := major suckage

<< < (3/3)

wr975:
Researched a bit... many NAS system suffer from this problem, like Fantec MR-35DRN or ZyXEL NSA-220. Apparently it's not only the NIC, but also the chipset/CPU. Can't be compared with a desktop PC.

The Synology Disk Station DS209+ costs almost four times as much as the DNS 323, comes with a 800 Mhz CPU but still ... 40 MB/sec only.

Guess, on second thought, the DNS 323 is a good piece of hardware. (At least for users like me, who don't know Linux, so they could do a cheap and fast fileserver with some some old PC.)  ;)

CWuestefeld:
I have a DNS-321. I'm not home to test this problem, but in general...

I don't think it's correct to say that the drive is NTFS. At least with my unit, and I think with anything that's doing Samba-type drive sharing, the actual file system is a black box. In the case of my DNS-321, the data is tored on the box in Ext2 format. My Windows installation has no idea how to read Ext2, and the NAS box, since it's running Linux internally, certainly has no clue about NTFS. All of the I/O happens at a logical level above the file system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version