ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 + NAS drive := major suckage

(1/3) > >>

tranglos:
OK, now this is really unpleasant. This is what happens when I copy certain files from a Win7 local drive (left) to an ntfs partition on a NAS drive (right):

Whenever a file contains characters such as curly quotes, angle quotes, bullet characters, subscript characters, em-dash etc., only the short 8.3 filename gets copied to the NAS drive. So a file named Abc „def”  – ghi « jklm.htm on the Win7 system becomes Abcde~6h.HTM on the NAS drive.

I only discovered this after setting up a backup regime in SyncBack Pro and testing the results with Beyond Compare. I thought it was a SyncBack issue, but it is not - the filenames get clobbered no matter how they are copied (TotalCommander, Explorer, etc.). I wouldn't sweat it (so much) if the troublesome characters just got dropped, but what happens is that meaningful filenames are replaced with gibberish as above.

And (of course) the problem did not occur when I was running XP, and nothing on the NAS drive changed since I installed 7 a week ago. Files that were previously copied onto the NAS drive (under XP) still show up fine, which tells me that 7 is actively interfering with the copy operations. And now my NAS drive is no longer useful for backup.

Why could this be happening? I've googled, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Shades:
Maybe a strange thing to mention here, but bear with me:
Last week I tried to install a trial version of Microsoft's Exchange Server 2007 onto a trial version of their Windows Server 2008. After a day of continuous re-installing and encountering some error of files that could not be found in the cache, I found out that disabling IPv6 on your NIC works mysterious wonders.

After I did that, the installation went allright in one go.

To my understanding the networking client from 2008 is related to the networking client of Vista...and Win7's network client is either the same or based on the one from Vista.

A free executable from Microsoft: Microsoft Fix it 50444 will disable IPv6 in the registry. The registry changes are also explained, so you can execute them yourself if you do not want to use their fix.

You will then have to reboot to activate the new settings. If you check the Network interface properties after the reboot, you will notice that IPv6 has not disappeared and is still activated. This is not a sign that IPv6 is still enabled though. Check with the console and the command ‘ipconfig’ to see if IPv6 is really gone.

WARNING:
After disabling the IPv6 protocol and re-enabling the protocol with the appropriate executables it is very likely that your PC crashes in an unsolvable way, requiring a re-install of the complete PC. My test PC did.

wr975:
Why could this be happening? I've googled, but couldn't find anything relevant.
-tranglos (August 22, 2010, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think Win 7 is the problem, you NAS device probably is.

It would be good to know the name of your NAS device.

Also, did you check for a firmware update?

tranglos:
I do think Win7 has something to do with it, because I did not have the problem under XP, only 2 weeks ago. The NAS drive is D-link DNS-323. What's even weirder, those clobbered filenames on the NAS are even more trouble than I thought: they cannot be renamed (read error). They can be copied back and deleted, but not renamed. The wonders!

The OS does make *some* difference at least, because in XP I could map it to a drive letter, but Windows didn't otherwise recognize or do anything about the drive. Win 7, by contrast, reports it as a NAS drive, gives it a special icon in Explorer, has a property sheet for it (though nothing about the locale) etc., so it seems to have special handling for these types of drives that XP didn't have.

I did upgrade the firmware and it seems to have helped, but this caused existing filenames to show up in wrong codepage until I reformatted the whole drive. I've had this drive for 3 years now and it seems to be reliable enough, but the transfer is darn slow, only about 10 MB per second. It'll take a day and night to put the backup back in place.

(But the firmware upgrade was a good thing - the new version finally turns off the fan when the drive is idling. Before it would only turn off the internal discs, but it's the fan that makes all the noise. The silence is welcome.)

ljbirns:
I have had a WD  NAS ntfs drive for 2 1/2  yrs.  I run Win 7  home premium
I created a file named     Abc„def”  – ghi « jklm.htm  ( your file name example ) on my C: drive  and copied ( context menu ) to the NAS. 
It copied without a problem   
I have been using Win 7 for about a year  XP  before that. But I have had the NAS drive for over 2 years with both system without a problem 
I use GoodSync and also Cobian Backup without any problems

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version