Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 08:55:00 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Option to use constant name in temp or set different temp folder?  (Read 3109 times)
jakaneko
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

Hello

First I like to thank for fsekrit, I really like it. smiley

But I cannot use it any more, because I use AppLocker now. Sad

When fsekrit start, it seems that it copy code to %temp% with name FSEKRIT-????.EXE where ???? part changing every time. Because of that changing part I cannot make AppLocker -rule for fsekrit (running in temp is prevented in that standard account I use my everyday use).

So could Fsekrit have option to use constant and same name in %temp% folder? Or maybe option to set different temp -folder so I can give that folder permission to execution?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:12:31 AM by jakaneko » Logged
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »

I think I understand what you are asking.

I too have the same issue with the Defense+ component of Comodo Firewall. It is impossible to build a rule to allow fsekrit to access the temp files it reequires since the exe file is given a new randomly generated name each time.

As such I have to uncheck two boxes and click both when the program loads, and when it exits.

Not sure what the solution is, since I assume the random file name is done for security reasons.
jakaneko
Participant

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »

Well, in my case solution could be very easy: possibility to set custom temp-folder for fsekrit.

That is because AppLocker approve *-wildcard in path like this c:\somepath\* (but not like c:\somepath\fsekrit-*). So setting up own temp-folder to fsekrit and give permissions to it could be simplest solution for me smiley
f0dder

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

Is it only %TEMP% that's protected in this way by AppLocker? In that case, perhaps it's possible for you to run fSekrit in portable mode (see 1.40 release notes) as a workaround.

Because of the way fSekrit works, it has to make this temporary copy of itself - using a constant name would work, but would prevent multiple open notes. There's some possible workarounds for that, but it wouldn't be super pretty smiley

If it's of any help, I could add a registry setting to override %TEMP% in the next version, so you don't have to use portable mode.

- carpe noctem
jakaneko
Participant

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

Thank you! I can find my way with fSekrit.portable smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF