ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

HOSTS File for malware prevention

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
+1 for Krishean -- Excellent explanations. :)

sajman99:
The security company Sunbelt Software is establishing a DNS Server named ClearCloud DNS which can be used to block malware sites.

This is a free service (currently in beta) which is designed to add an additional layer of security.

Details can be found here:  http://www.clearclouddns.com/

Russ V:
Cool;  you can also use google dns at: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Note: if you use services by your internet provider...like news groups or use local content, can stop working for days when local network changes occur.   in that case, i recommend keeping your secondary dns search ip to something your provider provides.

Lastly, i've stopped using spybot immunization on my slow machine at work.  i find myself removing a lot of programs i once thought would help.

f0dder:
Using the hosts file for anything but specialized purposes (like blocking a few call-home servers, or *very* limited LAN computer naming) is pretty bad, imho. It takes a bit of time to process large hosts files, and it's futile trying to keep a hosts file up to date wrt. malware and ads.

What you need is an ad-blocker for your browser combined with anti-malware software.

app103:
What you need is an ad-blocker for your browser combined with anti-malware software.
-f0dder (August 26, 2010, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I recommend Ad Muncher (munches more than just ads, in more than just browsers) along with whatever hosts file entries your anti-malware may want to add. (remember that neither are a substitute for a good antivirus, and nothing is a good substitute for common sense...you need all of it!)

And please, please, please, run noscript and turn off Java in your browser unless you are about to use a site you know you can trust that needs it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version