ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wireless (wifi) network connection manager with saved profiles

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I was having trouble connecting my ipad at to my work's wifi.  I find out that to do business type wifi stuff, you need to download Apple's "iphone configuration utility".-superboyac (December 01, 2010, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

So in short, what you're telling us is that an as delivered OOB iPad (with no wired connection options available) cannot connect to a secure WiFi network?
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2010, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that wasn't really my point, but yes, that's true.-superboyac (December 01, 2010, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know, but I just had to ask.

The ipad doesn't have built in features for all that stuff.
--- End quote ---

It doesn't have built-in security stuff? Given that even the dirt cheapest WiFi Routers/WAPs have some form of security enabled by default ... And require a good beating with a claw hammer to make them run "open". That seems like an awful glaring omission. Or does Apple assume that everyone will get an AirPort (and default them to open) so it's all good?

Mind you I have seen HP do things twice as dumb on several occasions, so it happens.

And frankly, it was a little bit of a pain to get it working.
--- End quote ---

A subtle incentive to stick to doing it Apple's way? :)

I had to download that utility, then get the right .net version, then some errors, try again, restart.  Anyway, it worked finally after 2 hours.
--- End quote ---

.NET running on the iPad?!? Granted we can't really (in fairness) entirely blame that one on Apple ... But I may have nightmares about the very existence of that combo.

steeladept:
I find this strange, and I know you said you don't like it, but the Intel Proset Wireless has had ALL those features for at least 3 years.  And the interface isn't as busy, so you may not see all the features in your face like that apple app, but they are there and very easy to use.  Indeed, they even provide a wizard to make initial setup a breeze.  That said, the Intel Proset/Wireless software package is the only one I know that does what you ask, but obviously you don't like the setup of that so....I guess I really don't have anything to add.... :-\

superboyac:
I need to make a correction that will negate my previous complaint with the ipad's wifi.

The ipad DOES have secure wifi connectivity features, I just didn't do it right.  It's actually pretty easy, as expected.  if you tap on the correct option, it opens up a dialog with a bunch of secure settings.  Pretty nice.  So I didn't need the configuration tool after all.  i even got the certificate and everything to work.

Also, steel, to respond to the Proset application you mentioned.  I used to use it, and it was ok.  Not great.  But it couldn't do some things that the Windows manager did better, like selecting multiple certificates, which i had to do one time.  But even besides that, it was not organized elegantly.  The application interface elements seem to have been haphazardly put together.  The Apple one I showed above is way better organized.  But all in all, the Proset one is one of the better ones I've seen.  In fact, I could say I haven't seen a better one for Windows yet, but that doesn't mean it's good.

I wonder if this could be done with a coding snack?  All the features that need to be accessed are default windows things, so I'm guessing it's just a matter of creating a nice GUI for it.  No?

Darwin:
A tad off topic, but my experience with the Windows 7 wi-fi connection utility/funtionality is the same as phillfri's... I personally have found that the wi-fi utilities in windows have gotten progressively better with the progression from XP-Vista-7.

I do like that the utility that superboyac posted a screecap of is so nicely laid out. All of the settings are visible down the left hand side. In a way, this reminds me of ROUTER settings pages. in windows 7, it has to be said, you have to keep right clicking on network card names and network SSIDs to find "properties". It's second nature to me, so it doesn't bother me, but still...

superboyac:
Yeah, I'm not familiar with Windows 7 wifi stuff.  I'm glad to hear it's much better since I'll be upgrading to it next year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version