ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wireless (wifi) network connection manager with saved profiles

<< < (3/5) > >>

4wd:
He specifically showed me how on a mac, when it detects a new connection, all that happens is a box pops up asking for the wifi password, and BAM you are connected.-superboyac (August 31, 2010, 10:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the problem, (or good thing - depends on your POV), there is that the Mac has uniform hardware thus the software can be specifically tailored for it.  All the facilities of the hardware are known and can be taken advantage of easily.

Addendum: Try WeFi, from reading the blurb it may do what you want.

Just downloaded/installed while sitting at the local library - when I started it, it found and connected to the library network, (unprotected apart from ID/pwd), without me doing anything.  I'll see what happens when I get home and try it on my WEP WiFi, (after I turn SSID broadcast back on).

To 'Claim a WeSpot', (free access WiFi), you need to be a Facebook weenie, (no offence if you are a Facebook weenie :P ), because you need a Facebook account to log into your WeFi account from the application - very retarded AFAIAC.

However, if you're not interested in 'Claiming We(e)Spots' then it should still work OK for simple detection/connection.  It can store User/Password logins for WiFi hotspots so that it can auto-connect without you having to enter them.

At home, turned off Hide SSID in the router and the network showed up in seconds in WeFi, double-click on it to connect, prompted for WEP key and then it connected.......pretty easy.

The manager within WeFi is pretty basic, you can add or remove any connections but can't edit them.

Conclusion: It's definitely simpler than XPs Wireless Config and you have access to a database of thousands of WiFi spots that have been detected by others, (location maps included).

Of course MS' network connection stuff gets in the way sometimes - if you go into Wireless Configuration then WeFi turns itself off - so it's not a true replacement.

But I think I'll leave it on the netbook at this point to see how it goes in general.

phillfri:
The Windows 7 wifi connector works great on my ASUS netbook anywhere I go (U.S. and Europe mostly). Click on the status bar icon and a list of available wireless routers comes up. Click on the one you want, and it will ask you for the password if you haven't used that connection before. Once you've entered the password, Win7 retains it in its list of connections and doesn't ask you again - unless the remembered password no longer works with that connection. You can also manage and prioritize the wireless connections from the Network Center. I place my home network first, then my work network, and then other networks (friends, family members, and public networks last). Albeit, I haven't played with certificates.

superboyac:
Well, surprise surprise...
I was having trouble connecting my ipad at to my work's wifi.  I find out that to do business type wifi stuff, you need to download Apple's "iphone configuration utility".  As soon as I open it, I'm like "OK, this is exactly what I've been looking for in this thread."  How is it that there is no Windows software out there that will do it THIS NICELY??  I've attached a screenshot to show how nicely everything is organized:
wireless (wifi) network connection manager with saved profiles

I've searched so long for something like this, and I can't find it.  Wefi is pretty good, but still a hack-job in a lot of ways.  Not much thought put into it, and it's pretty gimimicky with it's "Ooh...find hotspots by logging into out network! bullshit."  And it's weird turn-dial.  I mean, it's better than nothing I suppose.

I also think something is out there, but forget finding it through google.  I was hoping someone here would know of one.  Freakin apple...

Stoic Joker:
I was having trouble connecting my ipad at to my work's wifi.  I find out that to do business type wifi stuff, you need to download Apple's "iphone configuration utility".-superboyac (December 01, 2010, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

So in short, what you're telling us is that an as delivered OOB iPad (with no wired connection options available) cannot connect to a secure WiFi network?

superboyac:
I was having trouble connecting my ipad at to my work's wifi.  I find out that to do business type wifi stuff, you need to download Apple's "iphone configuration utility".-superboyac (December 01, 2010, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

So in short, what you're telling us is that an as delivered OOB iPad (with no wired connection options available) cannot connect to a secure WiFi network?
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2010, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that wasn't really my point, but yes, that's true.  The ipad doesn't have built in features for all that stuff.  And frankly, it was a little bit of a pain to get it working.  I had to download that utility, then get the right .net version, then some errors, try again, restart.  Anyway, it worked finally after 2 hours.  Haha.  Seriously, though, that wasn't the point.  The point was that Apple's utility for this is what I want for my Windows!  Please!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version