ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wireless (wifi) network connection manager with saved profiles

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
I'm looking for wifi connection manager software.  Please recommend any that you know of.  There was one I saw on bits du jour a long time ago, and I can't find it anymore.  Can anyone remember?

So, I want an alternative to the network manager that comes either with Windows itself, or the intel one that can also be used.  They both have their pors/cons, but I don't really like either of them.  I want more control, more options, nicer interface.

The only one I've found (and it's free) is this one:
Avanquest Connection Manager

But I'm hoping somebody remembers the one on BDJ, that one looked nice.

superboyac:
Well, I just tried the Avanquest one.  It's ok, but I think there's one out there that is better.  Avanquest is definitely better than the built in Windows manager or the Intel one, however.

superboyac:
Update:
Avanquest is no good.  It can't see some of the wifi connections that the regular Windows one can see.  Also, there is not place to configure certificate properties.  Actually, the certificate thing is a feature I'm very interested in.  Even the Intel one doesn't have a decent certificate management section.  For the Windows one, (and I've ONLY seen it on the Windows one), I can select multiple certificates using checkboxes.  For Intel, i can only choose one at a time.  And Avanquest has nothing, it can't even see that connection.  So goodbye, Avanquest.

We need to find a good wireless network manager.

You may be asking, why not just use the Windows one?  Well, the interface sucks.  Too many windows, too many SMALL windows, too many tabs, the flow is illogical, profiles are not in a prominent location.  Once again, it's mostly interface issues which makes the use experience a pain.

superboyac:
Mobile Net Switch seems to be the best program that I've run across for this purpose:
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/

4wd:
There's also NetSetMan, both a freeware and paid, (Pro), version.

I've also got MultiNetwork Manager which I believe came from GAOTD, they then offered an update to v9 later for free, which I took them up on. :)

But being a bit lazy I use neither, it was easier to just change the settings for the adapter and set some shares for the 2-3 places I took my computer.

Addendum: You can still get a free license for MultiNetwork Manager 9 using the instructions here.  Just tried it and it worked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version