topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Private Servers, MMO Piracy, and the Future of DRM  (Read 3439 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Private Servers, MMO Piracy, and the Future of DRM
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:02 AM »
privateservers.png

I've heard of private servers (and even searched for one for Tabula Rasa when it was shut down- I really miss that game), but I've never really delved into the scene.  So I was pretty surprised at the numbers that were being thrown around in the recent private server prosecution.  She made $3 million?  Off of micro-transactions?  From 420,000 users?  That's pretty major, though I found out to take it with a generous amount of skepticism after I read that she didn't appear to defend herself.  But if it's anywhere near that, it's a pretty big deal, and I always thought MMOs were pretty pirate-proof.

Zam has an article about this issue, and the future of DRM.  A pretty good read, and well-researched to boot.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:03 AM by wraith808 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Private Servers, MMO Piracy, and the Future of DRM
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I've used a WoW private server a time or two.

I never thought of it as piracy because I paid for the game; I just didn't want to pay Blizzard anymore for the privilege of using their server, so I tried out free private servers.

Private servers are not the same as the official. It's not as fun. Then again, some might consider it more fun because they (sometimes) change it so the first monster you kill gives you a million gold and gets you to level 65 (or whatever the max level is these days) and all the best gear.

I didn't enjoy it so I don't do that anymore.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Is the privilege of using the server separate from the cost of the game?  I don't think the license actually allows for that...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Is the privilege of using the server separate from the cost of the game?  I don't think the license actually allows for that...

Yeah, I paid $50 for the WoW discs, just to install the software on my PC and then $15 a month for the server usage. At least that's how I envisioned it at the time.

I figured I was bound by the EULA when I connected to their servers, but I had already paid for the software and I could use it however I wanted. Like buying a music album on CD. If it comes with a free month subscription to eMusic that's all fine and good, but if I'm done using eMusic's service, why shouldn't I be allowed to listen to the album I paid for and have a physical copy of?

I'm not saying that's correct. That's just how I thought it worked at the time.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:34 AM »
Ah... :)  Yeah, most EULAs on software purchase from large corporations are pretty obscure, but I don't think that software for online services covers using a different online service other than theirs with it.