topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ComboFix=GREAT rootkit cleaner. (Kaspersky failed me big time).  (Read 19185 times)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ComboFix=GREAT rootkit cleaner. (Kaspersky failed me big time).
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Is there a way to prevent Hitman Pro from scanning at startup, does anyone know? The option can be disabled, but it gets re-enabled when I start the app again. It doesn't seem to save the configuration anywhere. Since it's on Win7, and the downloadable file is not an installer, but the direct executable program, I put it outside of Program Files, but it won't obey the changes in configuration. Or could it be that it is a paid feature?

When I launch the latest HitmanPro.exe on my XP system, it copies itself  :huh: to C:\Program Files\Hitman Pro 3.5 and places a shortcut on the desktop. When run from that "proper" location in Program Files, the "Scan at startup" setting is remembered. Otherwise the startup setting gets re-enabled just as you indicated.

So strangely enough (on my XP system anyway) the downloaded file is an installer (at least in a limited sense). Weird and unexpected behavior IMO.

btw in the main interface you can select "Early Warning Scoring" (EWS) to perform a scan without internet connection.

Regards

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Speaking of being scared. Be sure that feeling is picked up by security products. Just because I tried some Trend Micro stuff I keep getting emails telling me how increasingly screwed I am :) Now 14 days!!! This manipulation of "feelings" is best left to industry/marketing. Being scared is not the way to go.

sayman99, on W7 Hitman starts up from task scheduler where you can change parameters. Not the same on XP? How much an update check I don't know. Adding "/quiet" to commandline is accepted.

GHammer

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 08:00 AM »
I make a full image of my system disk at install, then when I add major apps.
I run no anti-malware app of any sort.

Why? I did support for a while and saw every app come in the door on infected machines.
I do not believe 'the cloud' or behavior based tools are the answer either.
The malware changes itself constantly, well less than 60 minutes. Another engineer and I watched a site for two days. Every time we'd go there, we'd get a "new" infection. KAV found the old ones, never a new one.
Closest we came was Prevx, but then got numerous slowdowns.

I have not run any "protection" for two years. I was infected one time by a 'legit' download that I was too lazy to run past VirusTotal. I just restored my system image and 4 minutes later was back.

To make my family feel better, I install Microsoft Security Essentials Beta on their machines. Little impact, and very rare to have a false positive.