ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Java and braces ... how do you keep track of them?

(1/2) > >>

tsaint:
 As a beginner in java programming, one of my biggest hassles seems to be trying to keep track of pairs of braces, especially now I've gone past classes of 1 screenful of code.
I'm using Geany (Linux, text editor) - I'm aware of IDEs, but my main point is just techniques/suggestions from experienced coders to save me having to wait to see compile errors which indicate I've stuffed up the braces yet again
thanks
tony

Shades:
A text editor that supports folding also shows (relatively) quickly if there is either an excess or a shortage on braces.

On Windows the big name (freeware) text editors support this functionality and I have to assume that Linux (with their mantra: everything is a text file) has several text editors available that support this as well.

Eóin:
I personally use indentation, all code inside a brace is indented an extra level. Also I tend to never put braces at the end of a line, by starting them on a new line they themselves line up.

Finally, I break up the majority of my functions, only a rare few exceed 1 sceenful of code.

For example I would write this Traversing a Directory example as the following;

--- Code: Java ---public class TraverseDirectory {    private static void processDir(File dir)     {        System.out.print( (dir.isDirectory() ? "[D] : " : "[F] : "));        System.out.println(dir);    }     private static void traverse(File dir)     {        processDir(dir);         if (dir.isDirectory())         {            String[] children = dir.list();            for (int i=0; i<children.length; i++)             {                traverse(new File(dir, children[i]));            }        }    }      /**     * Sole entry point to the class and application.     * @param args Array of String arguments.     */    public static void main(String[] args)     {        traverse(new File("new_dir"));    }}
This is, admittedly, slightly different to their code style.

tsaint:
thanks for both suggestions... I've been less than fastidious about the amount of indenting, so thats a wake up call.
And yes, the text editor I'm using has folding - stupid not to use it.
Thanks for both suggestions.

Deozaan:
Indentions is a good way. Code folding works as well. But having an IDE with syntax highlighting (including syntax errors) is probably the best I can think of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version