topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SmartWhoIS GiveAwayOfTheDay License Key.  (Read 8952 times)

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SmartWhoIS GiveAwayOfTheDay License Key.
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Can anyone here, please, give me the license key for SmartWhoIS, given away sometime ago by GiveAwayOfTheDay.com? I need it to upgrade to the latest version if it still works. If posting on the forum is against norms, this is my email address: xxxxxxxxx. Thanks in advance.

[Edit: Email address removed]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:53 PM by Carol Haynes »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SmartWhoIS GiveAwayOfTheDay License Key.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Sorry but this question is not really appropriate. One of the normal conditions on GiveAwayOfTheDay is that the program cannot be upgraded (or even reinstalled after the day the offer expires).

I am not sure it is true of all products on the website but the keys usually provided with software are usually registered to GAOTD (not the individual user) and so you would not be able to upgrade anyway.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 08:00 PM »
SmartWhois was a December 13, 2006 giveaway... http://www.giveawayo...is&x=48&y=18

I believe there was no free upgrades to future versions.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:43 PM »
One of the normal conditions on GiveAwayOfTheDay is that the program cannot be upgraded (or even reinstalled after the day the offer expires).

I am not sure it is true of all products on the website but the keys usually provided with software are usually registered to GAOTD (not the individual user) and so you would not be able to upgrade anyway.

There are the GAOTD conditions, but not all developers implement these. Some will give upgrades, some will give support, some are automatically registered, some have registration keys and some of the keys will work with any username and not just GAOTD. You only really find out by trying.

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 04:07 AM »
OK. I understand. I have purchased the full version via Visualware which was giving a hefty discount. Nice program.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11 AM »
One of the normal conditions on GiveAwayOfTheDay is that the program cannot be upgraded (or even reinstalled after the day the offer expires).

There are the GAOTD conditions, but not all developers implement these. Some will give upgrades, some will give support, some are automatically registered, some have registration keys and some of the keys will work with any username and not just GAOTD. You only really find out by trying.

That may be true but as a matter of principle we do not condone handing out serial codes for commercial software - even if it was on GAOTD.

The reason developers put their stuff on GAOTD is to tempt users to buy their products - that is why they restrict installation to the day of the give-away and say upgrade options are not included. As you say some developers may be more lax in enforcing these rules but they put their products onto GAOTD to increase sales and get their product promoted to a wider audience - not so that people can avoid paying for the product by sharing keys in a forum.

OK. I understand. I have purchased the full version via Visualware which was giving a hefty discount. Nice program.

Glad you found a solution.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 06:43 AM »
That may be true but as a matter of principle we do not condone handing out serial codes for commercial software - even if it was on GAOTD.

The reason developers put their stuff on GAOTD is to tempt users to buy their products - that is why they restrict installation to the day of the give-away and say upgrade options are not included. As you say some developers may be more lax in enforcing these rules but they put their products onto GAOTD to increase sales and get their product promoted to a wider audience - not so that people can avoid paying for the product by sharing keys in a forum.

I don't think I commented on giving out keys - just responding to your comments on GAOTD. I don't think that some developers are necessarily lax in not enforcing GAOTD rules; some (eg with Liquid Story Binder) clearly made a different decision about how they wanted to promote their product. Just as some to allow commercial use. The GAOTD rules give the maximum restrictions to the license so that the greatest number of developers feel comfortable in giving their software free on the site - but not all developers want all the restrictions. That's all I was saying, and it is worth people remembering all the possibilities when considering a download from the site - you often don't know whether the developer implements less restrictive conditions without trying it out.

Just to be clear though, I don't think any of them want it to become a permanent giveaway and passing on keys would always be wrong.

BCHOWDHURY

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Correct. If the developers were paranoid about piracy, they would not have given it free, I think. I was able to get upgrades on two applications using GAOTD reg. codes. Whta's wrong with that?

angeldeepa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08 AM »
Friend i found the site http://www.whoisxy.com/   which is used to get the whois info, domain to ip, ip to domain tool, ping test .
It's also like the smartwhois software.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Useful link - thanks.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Hadn't heard of the others, I've always used a free command line app called wWhois by SoftGears. I've been using it for years and it never misses.

I just did a quick check and it seems they've vanished. but I did find a (shareware) GUI version that looks quite nice called Whois 2010 Pro that has a lifetime license for $7.77

Update: Cnet still has a copy of the old (free) Command Line wWhois.exe available here - Apparently it came out in 2002, but it still works on Win7 x64 (So me no change).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:39 PM by Stoic Joker »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Useful little tool but doesn't cover all domain registers.