ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to warn you of disk limits being reached?

<< < (3/4) > >>

sajman99:
Here's a free tool with an alternative approach:  Meerkat - Disk Space Monitor.

http://meerkat.codeplex.com/
Project Description: Meerkat sends admins an email alert whenever a disk runs low on free space. Written in C# .NET, Meerkat is a tiny unintrusive service configured by a separate small GUI. From the GUI you can set which disks to monitor, the free space threshold, who to notify, and the location of an SMTP server. Runs on Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 and Windows XP/Vista. The project is a Visual Studio 2008 project.

Why?: Why write another disk space checker when there's already quite a few out there? I guess there are two categories of checkers - suites like What's Up Gold that perform all sorts of checks and cost plenty of cash, or shareware apps that do exactly what Meerkat does but ask you to pay for it. I couldn't find anything that was simple, small and free. So I wrote Meerkat, and it's been monitoring a variety of servers in the workplace and at home for almost a year now.

--- End quote ---

Haven't tried it--thankfully I've got plenty of free space on this machine.

Curt:
The one you really might be wanting could be another Disk Space Monitor; jongrieve.net's Disk Space Monitor. It hasn't been updated for several years, but works all the same. At least it does on my 32-bits Vista:

As you can see, the colours of each icon shows how much space there is on each disk. If you point at an icon, it will pop up and tell the exact size. No other features. Perfect!?

111 KB, freeware. No installation. http://jongrieve.net/software/diskmon/

Josh:
Powershell

Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk | ForEach-Object {$_.freespace}

Curt:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

As you can see, the colours of each icon shows how much space there is on each disk. If you point at an icon, it will pop up and tell the exact size. No other features. Perfect!?
-Curt (August 19, 2010, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

As seen on the screenshot, the icons from Disk Space Monitor are displayed in a "wrong" order. I wrote the author and asked if this could be 'fixed', even though the program is very old. To my surprise he answered me in a couple of hours:

Hi Curt,

DiskMon will try and add the icons in a sensible order, but ultimately it is up to Windows how they end up being displayed.  You might want to try manually tweaking the order, by changing the Registry entry where DiskMon stores it's settings..
  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jon Grieve\DiskMon - DefaultDrives

DefaultDrives stores list list of drive letters ("FEDC"), and you need to specify them in reverse order - again, this is due to the way that Windows adds system tray icons.

Beyond that, I think it is out of my control, and I don't really update these utilities any more.

Regards,
Jon
--- End quote ---

sajman99:
MemoryWatch is a small open source app which will do exactly what you want. It provides memory usage and disk space usage, allowing you to set a warning level %.

Runs very light, neat little app--I'm keeping it even though I don't really "need" it.

Spotted today at Addictive Tips btw.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version