ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ultimate insult from fraudulent ebay seller tries to sell me iPhone 4

<< < (2/5) > >>

nudone:
i think part of the quick resolution was that i had to change my security details before i had full access to my account. so, no worries there.

i use strong passwords for all sensitive/financial websites so, i'm not convinced that my account has been accessed without something tracking my actions somehow. why?..

...i use Roboform, Roboform Online (beta) to access my own online accounts (i don't even know my passwords without checking Roboform first). that, to me, appears to be the only weak link in the chain - i don't ever type out my passwords so i don't believe there's a keylogger at work here - Roboform does everything.

obviously, i've no idea really. i thought i'd made things secure - i may delete the Roboform on-line beta account. I'll be changing quite a few passwords today - just in case there is something i've overlooked.

i know we all want simple answers to this kind of security scare so that it all makes sense, i just can't see exactly where i could have made a mistake - other than to use scanning software that doesn't tell me enough about what could be wrong with my machine, and using an online "secure" service for storing sensitive information that isn't really "secure".

i'm more inclined to believe this is some kind of PayPal scam - like a refund request by the fraudster for something i never bought. i'll have to see if i can make sense of what happened.

mouser:
yeah i wouldn't assume you are in trouble, i'd just pay heightened attention to my credit cards for the next few months.

nudone:
(i've just ordered one of those harware security keys. i've already got one for my bank account - seems like a good idea, thanks for mentioning it mouser.)

4wd:
Paypal has the option to send one time login codes to a mobile phone, (SMS), US$5 cheaper than ordering another gizmo you need to cart around.

That said, I do have one of their Key cards since their SMS would not send me a code no matter how many times I told it to - maybe it had to do with me not being in my home country at the time.
Even though my bank uses the same method, (SMS code), and it works perfectly anywhere on the planet I can get a signal.

paypal has an incredibly cool hardware security key that generates one-time-use login codes; it's like a $5 onetime fee and i love mine.-mouser (August 16, 2010, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Also, it isn't a onetime fee, it's US$5 per Key - they have a life of around 2 years.  Whereas the SMS to your phone shouldn't cost anything.

Don't forget to activate it for use with your ebay account too.

ultimate insult from fraudulent ebay seller tries to sell me iPhone 4

You can also log in a little faster by entering your normal password followed by the code at the password prompt, (eg. password123456).  This works for Paypal and ebay.

app103:
There is something really screwy going on at paypal lately.

Recently, someone I know clicked the donate button on my website and donated $25 to me. Paypal immediately flagged it (less than 60 seconds after he made the donation) and asked me to provide info as to where I had shipped the goods he had purchased.

When I explained that this was not a buyer/seller transaction and that it was a donation made through a paypal donate button on my site, and that there were no goods involved, so nothing to be shipped, that the software is there on my site and a user can download it free of charge, use it as much as they want, and donate if they feel like supporting its development...and then the donor himself called paypal and gave them hell about the whole thing for not letting me have the money he donated to me, the end result was that paypal never listened to what either of us had to say, refunded the money to the donor, and punished me with an additional fee for the whole mistake, telling me in the future not to sell goods to people without obtaining a shipping address. I have not been able to get this issue resolved and they continue to occasionally record transactions made through my donate button as purchases for goods that need to be shipped, rather than as donations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version