ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pubctuation display problem

(1/2) > >>

John Falk:
Why do I sometimes run into a punctuation anomaly
> (apostrophes,quote marks,etc.) which display on my website page as
> a question mark within a black triangle? Is there a cure?
> Thanks very much for your early response.
> John

lanux128:
what browser are you using and what is your keyboard setting? some details would be more helpful.. :)

cyberdiva:
John, I've come upon that problem from time to time.  I think it's caused by the website's using a different character encoding format than the one your computer is set for.  But you can change that to accommodate other character encodings.  Just go to the computer's top menu and choose View and then Character Encoding.  You'll see a number of choices.  I usually have mine set for Western (ISO-8859-1).  But sometimes, when I get the question mark you mentioned, I just try one of the other encodings, and that usually works.  I then turn it back to my usual setting once I've finished with the website in question.  (FWIW, I haven't found that "auto-detect" works well for me, so I have it set to Off.)

I should add that Firefox is my default browser, and what I've said above refers to my experience with Firefox.  But I think other browsers also have a character encoding setting under View--I know Opera does.

I hope this helps.

mouser:
I think it's important that you clarify, in terms of choosing a fix, if your aim is:

* To edit your web page so that you and others don't see such bad characters in the future.
* To quickly change your browser settings so that you personally can view the page properly, without caring what others viewing the page see.

app103:
Microsoft has a page about installing language support, which should be your first stop: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx

And if that doesn't fix it, this page might help with configuring your system and browser properly: http://unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

And then take a look on the table on this page. Pay particular attention to what you see in the column marked "in own script" If you can't see the characters as they should be, go to the last column and look for a little black box to download the font to make it work. Install those fonts, then go back to the page and check again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version