ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > DonationCoder.com Newsletters

Newsletter for August 13th, 2010 - "Heat Waving"

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Newsletter for August 13th, 2010"Heat Waving"

1. Newsletter Editorial

It's 96 degrees out here and time again for another DC newsletter.  The heat seems to be getting to everyone because we've had a couple of arguments flair up on the forum lately, but things seem to be calming down now that the weekend is here.

If you have any interest in scanning software, the one thing you don't want to miss in this newsletter is the link to the giant review of VueScan written by a DC member last week, with some serious scanning tips.  We're also giving away a few copies of VueScan this month to celebrate the review.

DC member skwire has also been up to his usual tricks and has released a bunch of new free utilities based on user requests that you can download.  See the Coding Snacks section below for the new ones, including a cool context menu extension that lets you right-click on an image file and show it's geo-tagged location in your web browser.  This edition of the newsletter also has a big section devoted to announcements from DC members about software projects and blogs that they are working on -- we love to highlight member projects so don't be shy about posting on the forum if you are working on something interesting.

I was also thinking we might take this newsletter as an opportunity to encourage people to check out some of the posts on the forum that have not yet had any replies, and see if any are worth commenting on.  Check the link below for a list of all threads which have not yet had a reply posted.

And lastly, let me remind all coders and friends of coders, that we are approaching the final months of the year when our NANY (New Apps for the New Year) event is going to start kicking into high gear.  Join us by pledging to create and release a new application on January 1st of the new year, and become one of the proud custom mug carrying few who have participated. We need more participants -- so spread the word to your coder friends, and and if you are a coder looking for a kick in the pants to get you to finally finish that project that's been sitting half completed on your hard drive, or to finally implement that idea you've been daydreaming about for years, now is the time!

* NANY Section (New Apps for the New Year Challenge)
* Reply to a thread on the forum which has no reply

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We welcome everyone's participation on the forum, regardless of your level of computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to jump in.

* Initial reflections on using an ebook reader?
* Lists of Forums with help on home contractor problems (roof, heating, etc.)?
* Lap top cooling pad?
* Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

3. DC Stuff: Mini Reviews

New member-written stuff since the last newsletter:

* Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning
* August 2010 Giveaway - VueScan
* Mini-Review and Discount (Sep 2010): USB Safely Remove and Zentimo

4. Coding Snacks

One of the best areas of our forum is the Coding Snacks section, where people can request small custom free utilities that get written by volunteer coders.

* GeoLocate: right-click to display geotagged image on map
* Script to set a system restore point; win7
* Right-Click Menu Create Folder with Enhancements
* MoveOut - any way to make it move directories?
* Hotkey copy filename then append it to a URL in clipboard for pasting
* Frep - commandline find and replace
* ReRun - Run a program repeatedly on hotkey
* DRM File Checker

5. DC App Updates, Screencasts, Questions and Answers

A few minor updates this month, but also a few new screencast videos and some questions answered, as well as a nice found blog review of Find and Run Robot:

* LaunchBar Commander 1.113 Update
* Screenshot Captor v2.83.01 Update
* Praise for FARR - 'Absolutely Incredibly Essential Utility of the Month'
* Praise for DesktopCoral
* LaunchBar Commander Screencast Videos
* mIRC 7.1 and Mircryption
* BrowserTraySwitch compatible with Windows 7 ?
* Alias: convert units (with Units)
* Time zone alias (with a general page scraper - could be useful for other things!

6. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Let's find out..

* Micropayments to DonationCoder could be possible through new PayPal service
* New Government Rules make Jailbreaking Legal
* You are Not So Smart: A Celebration of Delusion and the Anchoring Effect
* Microsoft Security Patch Pushed Early
* On the Web: Google net neutrality stance gives Net's future to corporations
* Invalid Cast: Cool Member Blog
* Copy and paste workflow tip
* Famous Software : We review your software for free

7. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

* Flicks that struck you as odd or different in a good way?
* 50 Beautiful Examples of Toy Photography
* Best dense-information, detailed-illustration books of things?
* Android and iPhone differences - a webcomic
* JayIsGames.Com Casual Gameplay Design Competition #8 - Entries Now Playable!
* Learning from Cats -- My New Strategy for Dealing with Things I Don't Understand
* Worthing is undergoing inter-dimensional difficulties: Delightful Video
* Alien Swarm - another free game from Valve
* Worms Reloaded on Steam on Aug 26, 2010 - multiplayer dc

8. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

* Best way to collaborate (chat-like) within in the office?
* Karaoke software recommendations?
* Recommend video conferencing software/solutions.
* Synchronizing a few folders between two machines?
* Email notifier that only reports specific emails with popup and sound?
* Task\Project Utility?
* Router Question: Bandwidth throttling?

9. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

* Any Firefox addon to do multiple searches in same search engine?
* WindowMenuPlus freeware
* Firefox Tab Candy will change the way I use a browser for good
* ArtSee is now ArtSage

10. Announce Your Software or Service

Although I don't often highlight it in the newsletter, we do have a section of the DC forum where we are happy to have shareware authors post about their latest creations.  While we are always concerned about spam on the forum -- unlike many sites we welcome the participation of shareware authors on our forum, as long as they clearly identify themselves and their relation to the commercial software they are discussing.  This section let's them openly tell us about their stuff and get some feedback.

* Tidy Favorites Online
* QuickNote: create OneNote notes on the fly
* Sort OneNote 2010 Sections
* Windows countdown timer
* TicClick 1.7.0.0
* TicTac 1.6.0.0
* GlassPrompt 1.1

11. Developer's Corner

If you're not a programmer, don't let the title of this section scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

* Programming prizes on the rise: The risks of entering
* The Hacking Business Model -- not just about the code
* Simple Public License (SimPL)
* Embedding content on your web pages -- iframes vs native content?
* The Inversion of the Open Source - Big Corporation Divide?
* Is it easy to send a request to http://IP?password and make something happen?
* Richard Stallman Answers Your Questions
* Experiences selling digital downloads?

12. NANY 2011

Don't be shy about helping us kick off the NANY (New Apps for the New Year) process early.  If you're a coder, start thinking about some new program you can get working on.  Or, stop by and look for ideas and collaborators and helpers.  If you're not a coder, why not volunteer to help out in other ways, or try to reach out to other coders you know on other sites and see if you can't work together to come up with a great idea for a NANY application.

* NANY 2011 Pledge: Windows Productivity App
* NANY 2011 Pledge: Cross-platform puzzle game - They Must Be Stopped!
* NANY 2011 Pledge: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)

parkint:
In the USA, it is Friday the 13th.
I spent my day
  standing on a crack in the sidewalk,
  under a ladder
  with my fingers crossed
  repairing a mirror I broke
  after spilling some salt
  because I was startled by a black cat crossing my path

Remember: It is bad luck to be superstitious !

Nod5:
thank you mouser!

remi1149:
Hello to all as regard "Heat Waving" here in Italy 3:20:00 P.M. on Dolomite's at 4.921 feet (1500 metres) we have 59° Fahrenheits (15.0° Celsiuses). If you are agree I can send a lot of cold air via FTP ;) Bye Remigio from Coi di Zoldo Alto Belluno postal code 32010

Tony Dodd:
Thank you for the newsletter!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version