topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How to punish DonationCoder if you are angry at being nagged to donate  (Read 31867 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I say this only to say that the software discounts have, instead of saved me money, provoked me to buy software applications I otherwise wouldn't have.  Sure, they're purchases I love--but I'm amused that instead of "taking advantage of" it's more a matter of having been taken advantage of! (Not by DC, of course--just in general, damned sales stickers...)

Ditto ...

It's human nature - long before the internet my grandmother used to love going to the local market to 'get a bargain' ... lots of market boys doing a lot of shouting and knocking down prices to sill levels ... sound familiar. The fact that she brought home a pile of junk didn't upset her ... as with Allen she loved her purchases!

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lol, I think I want a member kit. Stickers!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Allen wrote:
My father often joked about sales one day being his financial ruin--I'm sure many others have made the same joke; whether it's they or their significant others buying a bunch of stuff "on sale" that they otherwise wouldn't buy.  While it would save them money if these were things they'd  have purchased anyway, that not being the case the result is increased spending, not saving.

This ties right in with the discussion of the saying "I'm saving so much money I'm going broke"!

EDIT: corrected missing hyperlink - thanks to jgpaiva for pointing it out to me!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:56 PM by Darwin »

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Everytime there is a donation nag, an "anonymous" cody fan gets to pluck one of Cody's tailfeathers.  :Thmbsup:

tonsofpcs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Video Tech
    • View Profile
    • Video Production Support
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I haven't donated?
Why?
I don't trust paypal.  I've heard too many horror stories.  I will not open an account with them, I will not give them my CC number.  Anyway, I hate credit cards and debt to begin with. 

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D
Had to follow Alxwz's example and unload those tatty old credits. Makes me hungry for more to give away...now where's that paypal button again?

Seriously, contributing to everyone's effort is a pleasure and a privilege. I won a raffle once, and have used the discounts as well as the s/w from members.

Just my 2 pennies
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Guys+gals honestly this thread is not supposed to make you donate!!
We will be running our little fundraiser to try to guilt everyone into donating later.
This thread was just to have fun and remind people about the silly free member kit since i have a bunch all sealed up and ready to send.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I realize this just cracks everyone up, but personally, I found myself getting angry.  In fact, I am angry.

It's more or less just another straw in the hat of how screwed up the people in this world can be.

But mouser...  I realize there are idiots who no matter what, will not be pleased.  But now you have taught the rest of those same idiots who aren't smart enough to "annoy" DonationCoder how to do so?

You are truly a glutton for punishment.    ;)

I gave, not because I had plenty of money at the time, but because I believed in DonationCoder.  And for good cause it turns out.  I believe DonationCoder was barely six months old when I gave.  To see it still thriving years later makes me ever so tingly.

To hear that someone else is finding fault in such a great place just because is flabbergasting.  I guess that is what makes an idiot and idiot right?  Illogical madness that makes normal people boggle at the level and intricacy of their idiocy.

Anyway... I plan on requesting a member kit.  Can you tell me how much it is though so I don't have to feel bad that this makes the 2nd time I'll be receiving it?  The first time my kids doodled on all the paper and stole my stickers.  This time I plan on putting them to good use.

I'm going to put them all over the stuff they don't want stickers on.  Muahahaha!

Oh, and if possible can I request extra of the tiny stickers?  I've got 4 kids and they've got *plenty* of stuff for me to tag.
I code.  Therefore I am.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I haven't donated? Why? I don't trust paypal.  I've heard too many horror stories.

Fair enough (not that I have had any problems with them - and they are governed in the EU by the banking regulations so any problems can be quickly and easily sorted out) - but there are other ways to donate if you wish to make a donation without using PayPal.

See https://www.donation...te/DonateMethod.html for details.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Anyway... I plan on requesting a member kit.  Can you tell me how much it is though so I don't have to feel bad that this makes the 2nd time I'll be receiving it?

The point of the member kit is to spread a little good karma.  It doesn't cost enough to worry about. in fact given the current dollar-to-karmapoint ratio i'd say that every time we send one out we probably make a net profit in terms points on the old mystical scoreboard in the sky, so go ahead and request another.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Danke!
I code.  Therefore I am.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I donated as a thank you to the excellent forums and community information rather than the programs itself. Reading the forums is what I have mostly benefitted from. In fact, I don't use any of the programs here regularly though I try them out whenever new versions are released.
- this post could have been written by me ;-)

---

I just came across this on Fast Picture Viewer Pro's homepage:

"What happened to the free version?"
(...)
... , and most would give a few bucks (or more) to support the effort! At least, that was The Plan...

To make a long story short, it did not work. Web traffic did surge and people did love the codecs, but after 106,661 downloads from our server (and 117,738 hits on the post-install web page), only about 0.2% of the downloaders actually donated anything: one fifth of a percent of all users is a disappointing figure at best.

briandr67

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • A Software Junky
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I first found DC when I was looking for a clipboard utility and found Clipboard Help & Spell. I use it 20+ times a day every day. I got a freebie key and came back for another look and read mouser's ideology on donating and as soon as I could afford to (i am on a pension) I donated $10US about $13AUD. Donated the same amount during the donation drive and when I can I will donate again. The great programs, the help and support of the authors, second to none IMHO, the wealth of knowledge on the forums is what keeps me coming back and keeps me donating. Keep up the great work and a fantastic site. Brian :D :up: :-*