ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Why computer programs should not be patentable -- in easy-to-understand terms

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
It's a bit like saying you shouldn't patent anything because it is exactly the same as lots of other things.

Actually I agree that the patents system we have now is broken (and so is copyright). Trouble is there are too many vested interests to ever get it fixed.

Example - Beethoven's music as first published is still copyright because the publishers can renew the copyright ad nauseam. Technically the music isn't copyright but the printed edition is - not sure how that works, presumably it is the page layout and the mistakes that crept in that sustain the copyright claim.

The recent example of Facebook trying to claim book was a trademark belonging to them shows the ludicrous nature of it all.

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't patented the letter i yet - maybe someone should and then sue Apple for gazzillions ;) (oops that should be gazzllons - don't want to nfrnge).

nudone:
(i might be making this all up but, i thought Apple had already had a go at someone for daring to use the "i" at the start of their name. or am i just thinking of the EasyJet case?)

wraith808:
(i might be making this all up but, i thought Apple had already had a go at someone for daring to use the "i" at the start of their name. or am i just thinking of the EasyJet case?)
-nudone (September 27, 2010, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope... not the 'i'... that would be silly... right?  But the Pod on the other hand... ::)

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/51726-apple-wants-the-word-pod-all-to-itself

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version