ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

On the Web: Google net neutrality stance gives Net’s future to corporations

<< < (8/8)

CWuestefeld:
Does not mandate that the phone have a bunch of usless buttons that control 7 different flavors of GPS MAPING Software
-Stoic Joker (August 13, 2010, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? I've never seen any phone that has actual buttons to control the GPS features. I think you're hanging onto your argument by your fingernails.

zridling:
What is needed is legislation to correct the current cluster-****, as well as a truly open OS (like an embedded Linux) and open hardware that will run an OS that they consumer can choose.-Renegade (August 13, 2010, 02:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Recall back in 2007, this was the original purpose of Google's dive into mobile, to build the eventual Nexus One, which the customer could buy, and then have many phone companies vie for its service/data contract. But then Verizon and Sprint decided to do their own hardware and suddenly Google was left wondering who was going to enable their search page by default. Suddenly the Nexus is dropped and Google is paying to have each carrier to use its search/mapping service on its phones (as long as Google dropped that whole "let's give the customer the choice" thing.

It's like being forced to vote for either a bad or worse candidate for public office. If you step outside and vote for a third guy, in most cases you just tossed the election to the "worse" choice. Oy. Lots of cliches apply, among them: Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

app103:
Google's response convinces me even more that we are finished

So, for example, broadband providers could offer a special gaming channel, or a more secure banking service, or a home health monitoring capability – so long as such offerings are separate and apart from the public Internet
--- End quote ---
(Emphasis mine)

My reaction is:

WHAT THE....?

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/08/facts-about-our-network-neutrality.html
-rgdot (August 12, 2010, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

A bunch of AOLs?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version