ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which archive software are we using in 2010 (and why)?

<< < (7/16) > >>

MrCrispy:
Tried all the free ones, WinRar is still the best. I'm a cheap bastard and I use the free one, I don't mind the nag screen  ;)

Jibz:
WinRAR. It's one of the few applications that has managed to stay lean and efficient through all these years where others got bloated and annoying :Thmbsup:.

Curt:
I don't understand how any un/zipper can be faster or easier to use (or less bloated) than 7Zip, but the number of DC members using WinRAR, makes me wonder if maybe I should have a closer look at my 3.80. But it would be interesting to know if I am missing any features or something. So my two or three questions for all you WinRAR users are: How many of 'you' are using an old giveaway version (like mine 3.80), versus the newest payware version (3.93). Should I update/upgrade?
 :tellme:

I never knew (or, have long forgotten) about WinRAR EXTRAS. Are 'you' using some extras? If, yes, give us a (micro-)review, please!

http://www.win-rar.com/rarextras.html

Jibz:
I don't understand how any un/zipper can be faster or easier to use (or less bloated) than 7Zip-Curt (August 11, 2010, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more that 7-Zip feels like .. well .. an open source project :-[. It looks like something from Win3.11 and (the last time I tried it) feels a bit 'unpolished'. WinRAR just bestows more confidence that you're gonna see your data again I think.

tomos:
But why they have different content or why one doesn't redirect to the other - I don't know.  I assume that some marketing person (or people) think they need to keep rarlab.com for the geekier customers, and have win-rar.com cater more to your everyday average computer user.
-mwb1100 (August 10, 2010, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

they certainly look like that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version