Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 08:37:28 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Suggesting names for new derivitative of CircleDock  (Read 13457 times)
Archon of Fate
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »

May I throw out some new name suggestions as a new start: (bit off topic tongue)

Item Void

Orb dock

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »

Icon Orbit

Orbit Dock

OrbiDock

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »

Semi-Circle Dock  Wink
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:22:46 AM »

Circle Dock's new name might be in Welsh: "Cylch Penfro" (Circle Dock), "Ddoc Cylch" (Dock of Circles) and "Cylch Doc" (Circle Dock) are all Welsh for "Circle Dock". Welsh, however, is a mutating language, hence the different forms which depend on how the name is used. The first form would be used as a 'standalone' name, the other forms would be used when the name appears in a sentence. That could be awfully confusing for users, so maybe not!

Hey, I already know what the first FAQ item will be: How do you pronounce ...  cheesy

Markham
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »

Circle Dock's new name might be in Welsh: "Cylch Penfro" (Circle Dock), "Ddoc Cylch" (Dock of Circles) and "Cylch Doc" (Circle Dock) are all Welsh for "Circle Dock". Welsh, however, is a mutating language, hence the different forms which depend on how the name is used. The first form would be used as a 'standalone' name, the other forms would be used when the name appears in a sentence. That could be awfully confusing for users, so maybe not!

Hey, I already know what the first FAQ item will be: How do you pronounce ...  cheesy

"Silk Penfrow", "Dock Silk" and "Silk Dock"! Next?  cheesy

Mark
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »

"Silk Dock"

it's off-topic really but that's a nice name there (IMO)

Tom
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

"Silk Dock"

it's off-topic really but that's a nice name there (IMO)
Plus, instead of having to 'put a sock in it' you'd be able to take one out!

Chris
joby_toss
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »

As I'm sick of the Apple-ish term "dock", and also in the light of the unavoidable development-path-change, I suggest we smile a bit while reading each other's ideas about the names we imagine for the next version's codename.
I hope I'm not offending anyone by doing this as this trend was started by Markham himself in the license discussion thread.

So I'll continue here:

BYRLYAU (welsh)
or
BUBBLES (english)

I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »

Nice idea(s) smiley
Welsh words look beautiful I always find, but I never have a clue how to pronounce them - it's even worse than Irish that way I think...

Good point about the 'Dock' word - but it is, (for want of a better description) a 'guiding' word - people know straight away what it's about

Tom
wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »

Good point about the 'Dock' word - but it is, (for want of a better description) a 'guiding' word - people know straight away what it's about

+1, and branding is everything, especially in a commercial product.  Though I suppose there are other words that might convey the same thing, especially since the 'Dock' doesn't actually dock to anything, unlike other docks out there.

Maybe launcher, i.e. Circle Launcher?

Looking at synonyms for launch- Cast is one that it puts forth.  So App Caster?  Or maybe Activator would be a word to use since it's also a synonym.

Just brainstorming...

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »

i split and merged the topics discussion new names to this thread.
Archon of Fate
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »

maybe:

circumference (not a circle name but it implies it embarassed)

circumference Dock ?

Round Dock
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »

Roundabout

Rotary Launcher

App Spinner

Grand Circular Station
sgtevmckay

Magis Esse

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »

Cog-Native Launcher

Pronounce Cognitive
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »

Rotisserie Dock
sgtevmckay

Magis Esse

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

Rotisserie Dock

Where-we serve it-up-good, I guarantee!
Spoken with a French/Cajun accent  Thmbsup

May need to also look for a business-y name concept.
Something remember-able to s free user, but professional for business.
This is truly a neat trick  Cool
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:54:30 PM by sgtevmckay » Logged
ArchaicTimeFrog
Participant

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »

Free Dock

Because it floats "freely" on the desktop, rather than being stuck on the side of the screen like most other docks
sgtevmckay

Magis Esse

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

Free Dock

Because it floats "freely" on the desktop, rather than being stuck on the side of the screen like most other docks

This has my attention  Thmbsup
Maybe a derivative of this name, time to break out the thesaurus
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

Free Dock

This has my attention  Thmbsup

The problem with that name is people will expect to get it for free, or expect it to be open source.

Perhaps Freedom Dock might be better?

sgtevmckay

Magis Esse

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »

Agreed on the "Free" It just sounds good and inspires a search Wink

Freedom Dock or Launcher is exactly what has come to mind.
Or Liberty Dock, but this may be extremely passe

Also:
Clique

Alliance Launcher
Affiliation Dock

Abstract Dock

NexGen Dock
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:33:39 PM by sgtevmckay » Logged
MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »

If you want to get rid of the 'D' word, how about
'Round2It ??

You could have a logo of that stupid wooden round thing for procrastinators. smiley

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Archon of Fate
Supporting Member

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »

center Dock

Move Dock

Abstraction

Object Typhoon - like the most cheesy

here's a prototype logo for Object Typhoon

* OT.png (80.33 KB, 700x700 - viewed 179 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:53:23 PM by Archon of Fate » Logged
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »

"What Dock"
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »

Eye Docktor
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »

I am sure mouser will come up with a catchy name, something like 'Spin And Choose Robot' (it does sound like sucker though  thumb down)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.17 ]