topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Paragon Go Virtual P2V  (Read 7481 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paragon Go Virtual P2V
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Paragon Software has just released a new package called "Go Virtual" that, according to their web site, will allow even the most technically challenged to clone any Windows 2K/XP/Vista/7 PC to a virtual machine that can run under Virtual PC, VMware or VirtualBox.  The software is free for non-commercial use.

http://www.paragon-s...com/home/go-virtual/

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Go Virtual P2V
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Been testing this since Wednesday.  Just Virtual Box, so far, but it seems to work as advertised.  Ported XP (SP3), 2 each Win7 32-bit (Ultimate & Home Premium), Win7 64-bit (Home Premium), all apparently successfully (VMs on a 4-core 64-bit Win7 Home Premium box).  'Course, it'll take more time to discern if everything functions properly, but it's looking good so far :Thmbsup:.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:02 AM »
Anyone have any comments regarding how this compares with Disk2vhd and VMWare Converter? 

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:56 PM »
I tried Paragon Go Virtual here on a Windows XP SP3 machine with VirtualBox 4.0.4, unfortunately without success so far.

In VirtualBox, during an attempt of the File > Import Appliance ... sequence, I got basically the same result as in the following post:

http://forums.virtua....php?f=7&t=40673

Failed to import appliance -- snipped --.
Storage for the medium -- snipped -- is not created.
Result Code:
VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80BB0007)
Component:
Medium
Interface:
IMedium {9edda847-1279-4b0a-9af7-9d66251ccc18}

Perhaps it will work with a 3.x series of VirtualBox...

Any insight from others?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Anyone have any comments regarding how this compares with Disk2vhd and VMWare Converter? 

I haven't tried the newer versions of VMware converter, but in the past, I never had much luck with it. I used to use Acronis True Image for imaging my system drives, and although VMware claims their converter can recover from an Acronis .tib image, I was never able to do so.

I gave up on Acronis a year and a half ago because it was just too unstable, and have been using Paragon Backup ever since. Last year, when I moved from a 32-bit WinXP system to a 64-bit Win7 system, I used Paragon P2V to convert a backup image of the old system into a VMware VM which I now use to run programs that I can't move to Win7.  I actually use Paragon HD Manager Pro, which includes nearly all the Paragon tools in a single package, which I find much more convenient, but the standalone P2V is the same.

The whole process was surprisingly easy and problem free, although I did have to re-activate WinXP in the VM, as it complained that my "hardware" had changed signficantly.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:13 AM »
Perhaps it will work with a 3.x series of VirtualBox...
I uninstalled 4.0.4 and installed 3.2.12 instead.  Importing worked with 3.2.12...