ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any Firefox addon to do multiple searches in same search engine?

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Actually, why do they dislike automated methods?  Afraid someone will steal their results?  That kinda, sorta sounds reasonable, I guess.  Or would it be because of excessive traffic?  Is a puzzlement :tellme:.

-barney (August 07, 2010, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a combination of both.  Otherwise it would be too easy to sell the unsuspecting public a service that just front ended some other search engine. Very low overhead.  Just some scripts to funnel the search off to somebody else, get back the results, and pretty 'em up as if you did it. In fact the search results seem so similar among these search engines I sometimes wonder if there's like one "real" search engine that scours the web and just licenses others to be a front end for it.  Either that or some graduate student wrote the program a long time ago and they all ripped off, er, emulated the same algorithm.

barney:
I think it's a combination of both.
--- End quote ---
I suspect we all do  ;)
sell the unsuspecting public a service that just front ended some other
--- End quote ---
  :o Oh, my! on the Internet?!?
or some graduate student wrote the program a long time ago
--- End quote ---
  Let's see ... Google was founded by a couple of grads ... Yahoo! was founded by one or more grads, and if memory serves, took over the then Alta Vista (so, what is Alta Vista now?) ... really curious as to that original - contributor? - grad  ;D.

Edit:  As I reread this, I can see that it could be taken offensively - that was not my intent - just, sometimes, my attempts at humour can get pretty heavy-handed.

app103:
I'll tell you what....give me some time and I'll come up with something really nice for you that will do what you want (sort of...semi-automated), and maybe a bit more.

It won't be a firefox extension, though. It will be a stand-alone app that's browser agnostic (use default browser).

And when I say give me time, I really mean that. Might release it as my NANY 2011 project. I plan on making it worth the wait, though. I am going to combine a few of my other project ideas together with the basic concept behind my "stupid URL thing" that I made for my own use.

Very, very early teaser screenshots (consider it just a concept mock-up):

daddydave:
I think I probably have a workaround for what I want to do specifically...but that would be a great NANY project and could probably think of other uses for it. :Thmbsup:

mouser:
clever idea for a coding snack utility actually; and also a very nice idea for a browser plugin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version