ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

<< < (9/10) > >>

kyrathaba:
Wow, Brahman.  Nice review.  You obviously put serious effort into it!

ewemoa:
With BeCyPDFMetaEdit or java based jPDF you can add a professional touch to your finished PDF e-book by adding bookmarks and number the e-book exactly like the original, f.e. roman numbers for the preface, arabic numbers for the main text - so that you can enter a page number directly into the application (like the excellent free PDF Xchange Viewer with direct PDF editing capability), and go to the exact corresponding page in the book.
-brahman (August 06, 2010, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for mentioning BeCyPDFMetaEdit and jPdf Tweak.

I had some success using the former to add bookmarks (a table of contents) to a PDF file using wine and was able to get the latter to start under xubuntu.  I didn't test the latter further as the former seemed to have a nicer UI for adding/editing bookmarks.

ewemoa:
Here is a video which shows ScanTailor's new ability to dewarp scanned text lines, which at the moment is still done manually. This is a very important feature when scanning books, since the text lines towards the spine of the book tend to get bent.

This feature is in the new test version which can be downloaded here.
-brahman (August 16, 2010, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Scan Tailor is quite a find.  Thanks for mentioning it :)

Saw it here too and there appears to be a "development" portable version.

Came across this fairly clear video tutorial by the developer.

superboyac:
This is still one of the greatest reviews of all time.  I'm reading it again after setting up my Epson V600 for the first time.  Am I going to have to buy VueScan?  I like this Hamrick guy, too.

TKR:
An exceptional review!!  Thanks.

When might we expect Part II on color profile management. I can't wait.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version