ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

<< < (8/10) > >>

J-Mac:
Brahman,

That is not what "trial version" means. I understand that you aren't the developer so I am not aiming this at you, but a trial version is exactly how it sounds: a version that you can use for a trial period to see if the software will work as you need/want it to for your needs. I have never heard of a trial that is only to check compatibility with your hardware - though that is certainly a valid test to try during the trial/evaluation period. A reasonable trial, IMO, would be to allow the software to function fully either for a limited amount of time or a limited number of scans. I would understand if the developer didn't want to make it time-bound only because someone might be able to scan their entire project during the trial period. So he might want to instead limit the trial to X number of scans and then inactivate the trial. But to allow potential users to scan but also watermark it is a little heavy. Of course that is only my personal opinion.

Thanks!

Jim

BTW, I did install the trial yesterday but I haven't tried scanning anything yet.

Wes:
I love detailed reviews. Thanks to you. I'm also glad to see that VueScan supports scanners which date back many years. Many software designers forget those who may be using hardware which though dated still performs well and meets the need of the owner.

anodyne:
Hi Brahman,
As others have said, an excellent review! In one of your answers you dropped the following tantalizing tid-bit:

Here I have some special advice: *Any* version *above* Abbyy 7 (i.e. 8,9,10) is almost equally good (they only made some improvements in the interface and added some minor features, and even though they say accuracy has improved, really it hasn't - it is *equally good* in Finereader 8,9, and 10) - but in Europe you can legally buy full versions of 8 or 9 at rock bottom prices at some reputable software vendors. I have seen v8 for US$25.- and v9 for US$35.-. These are full versions with CD incldg shipping (but not to US). You can buy them through a friend and (s)he can simply give you the serial number and you are ready to go. V9 started supporting some form of DjVu I believe.
-brahman (August 14, 2010, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could you point me to any such place?  I've looked around, but the only stuff I've seen are links to v10 Pro, v9 Express, and the usual list of warez sites :-(.

Thanks!

brahman:
Yes, of course:
you will find them here. All prices include local shipping.

Please note that these are multi-language versions, i.e. you can switch recognition language as well as GUI language.

Darwin:
I've started using VueScan Pro "in earnest" and LOVE it. Thank you, Brahman  :Thmbsup: :-* (I never would have discovered it otherwise).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version