ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

<< < (3/10) > >>

cranioscopical:
Awesome, thank you brahman, Ed, and mouser
-Darwin (August 07, 2010, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll add my thanks to that.

I'm astonished by the amount of work that's gone into what brahman has written here so far — very much appreciated  :up: :up: :up: :up:

brahman:
Hi,
upon Chris' question I tried VueScan with an HP Officejet 8500 today.

The amazing thing: VueScan does support Network scanning for this AIO!

Using the Document Feeder was easy too. There is an additional entry in Input>Mode which is "DocFeeder" if this feature is supported on the attached All-In-One device.

It's fun using a document feeder - haven't used one for ages - it's just like a fax machine. I may add my experiences later in more detail to this part of the review.

cranioscopical:
Thanks for the follow-up, brahman!

CWuestefeld:
That was a truly excellent review and guide.

I have one point of confusion. Can you explain the difference between "batch mode" and "auto-repeat"? Not so much the difference in what's available to each, but more fundamentally -- what are they?

brahman:
That was a truly excellent review and guide.
-CWuestefeld (August 12, 2010, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you very much for your compliment(s).
I have one point of confusion. Can you explain the difference between "batch mode" and "auto-repeat"? Not so much the difference in what's available to each, but more fundamentally -- what are they?

--- End quote ---
That's a good question, because indeed there is a lot of similarity.
Auto repeat always entails some manual user intervention to replace the media (unless you simply want to copy the same thing over and over again). It is relatively device independent and you can set intervals, like continuous or every 5 seconds or every 2 hours f.e. for scans of laboratory test results.

Batch scanning basically covers all other cases and is most of the time hardware dependent: f.e. 4 slides in a holder on a flatbed scanner, sheets in a document feeder, or also an entire directory for developing raw scans in batch mode. You can also select rotation for every single (slide) frame or page independently in batch mode.

These are the main differences, I hope I could explain it well enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version