topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Review/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning  (Read 121149 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brahman,

When you say "film" do you mean the negatives? I don’t have these. Most are old - very old - photos from various extended family members that I have borrowed for scanning. Most are from early 20th century but many are from the 19th century (1800's). None came with the negatives. I have no choice but to scan the photo prints I have.

Sounding like I might have to stick with my Canons after all unfortunately.

Thanks!

Jim

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Jim,

yes I meant negatives, but whatever I said on the Multi crop/Auto crop issue also applies to scanning the prints.

Simpy put several photos on the glass (keep 1/2 inch distance between them) and VueScan detects them with the multicrop setting. If more fit on the glass in rotated positions you can do that too and tell VueScan in the Batch settings to f.e. scan frame 1 landscape, frame 2 rotate to the left, frame 3 landscape again, etc. There are many more options.
http://www.hamrick.c...8.htm#inputbatchscan

Also read Ed's batch scanning tips for general speed up on big jobs:
http://www.hamrick.com/bat.html

Finally, a special tip from me:
If most of the photos are the same size, you may want to try out sorting them by size, then only put one print at a time on the glass flush in the glass' corner, tell VueScan to scan only this exact size in crop options so that the carriage only moves as far as the exact photo size goes and turn Multi crop OFF (Input>Auto repeat will then appear and Batch scan will disappear).

If done right you may keep the scanner lid open. Set Input>Auto repeat on a comfortable interval time (but if you can replace the print with a new one in the time the carriage moves back, you can even use "continuous").

This can save you a lot of time with processing and scanning. It may sound counter intuitive to do single scans, but may be faster, since the software needs no processing time, you can quickly change the photos, easily use the corner guides on the scanner to put the photo in the same position and possibly scan with an open lid. Try it out. Use my tip in the review to keep the scanner positioned low to avoid sore shoulders. Raw scanning as mentioned in my previous post can also be used.
Regards, Brahman

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi again brahman,
Right, I really only had OCR for keyword searches in mind but didn't make that clear. I haven't even tried using tesseract to make accurate standalone plaintext versions of scanned documents (I very seldom need that). But if/when I do I'll keep the Abby advice in mind.

I haven't tried ScanKromsator either. I went with ST since it seemed more geared for speed when processing batches of pages. I think its output (and similarly for SK from what I've read) is really, really impressive. I was blown away when I first tried ST in combination with djvulibre! The final output was very close in quality to pdfs made directly from a text file. This is one area where software and hardware seems to develop very fast now. In a world where hundreds of millions of people will over the coming years likely buy an ebook reading device/pad/thingy I guess things will just speed up even more.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I agree, DjVu is the way to go. I wish it would be supported more ...

But maybe its time has come now!
Regards, Brahman

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brahman,

Thanks again for the tips and hints. I don’t know that sorting them by the same size is doable. There are a lot of different sizes and some family members have given me prints that look as if someone may have trimmed them to fit somewhere at some time. Plus I am trying to keep them together by family/generation because I have to store them that way so I can easily return them after scanning. In case you haven't guessed I have become the unofficial family history researcher and family tree keeper for the family!

But I will surely try all that you suggest. I never suspected that such a scanning software - independent of that which comes with the hardware - even existed! I'll download the trial and if it makes my scanning project even a little more efficient than what I am presently doing then I will surely purchase the Pro version.

Thank you.

Jim

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is a video which shows ScanTailor's new ability to dewarp scanned text lines, which at the moment is still done manually. This is a very important feature when scanning books, since the text lines towards the spine of the book tend to get bent.

This feature is in the new test version which can be downloaded here.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:58 PM by brahman »

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In the Page menu there is an item "Interleave".
This command can reorder scans from a document feeder where you cannot manually turn over the page which has text on both sides. You put the pile into the feeder and scan first all the front pages, then you turn the stack around and scan all the back pages.  F.e. you scan front pages 1F,2F,3F, and 4F in this sequence. When you turn the stack around and put it into the feeder you now scan in the opposite direction, so you get the back pages in this sequence: 4B, 3B, 2B, and 1B.

Hi brahman,
On the subject of interleaving, maybe you (or other members) can slove this mystery for me:
I have an HP 7310 multifunction with an ADF, but I can't use its double-sided scanning function due to a hardware malfunction, so I'm trying to use the interleaving feature of the "Microsoft Document Imaging" tool that comes with MS Office. On one XP Pro PC I have MDI 2003 installed, which crashes at the end of every "double-sided" session with a "OCRDCOM failure" error -- though it does go through the "scan odd sides then turn over for the even sides" routine correctly. I've tried re-installing the MDI program, with no improvement.
On my other XP Pro PC I have Office 2007 installed, and for some strange reason when I try to run MDI 2007 with the same HP 7310 scanner, MDI has the "Use ADF" and "original is double-sided" check-boxes greyed out, as if the machine didn't have and ADF. And I do have the latest HP drivers installed.
Can you offer some insight into one or both of these problems?
Thanks!

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi McSam,

since I do not use MS Office, I cannot really help you with the MDI issues.

One tip I may be able to give you though: When I worked with the HP Officejet 8500, I noticed on HPs site a special "uninstall" program for its drivers called "Scrubber" (please google for it), which apparently does a more thorough job than the normal uninstall routine.

Maybe you can try to do an uninstall of the HP software with this tool, and then do a minimal install again. Then possibly the "Use ADF" box will work again.

You may also want to install the trial version of VueScan, though the Officejet 7310 is not in the list of supported scanners, the OJ 7300 is and the document feeder is supported. See if "Document Feeder" is shown in the Input>Mode options.

Hope this helps you to get an angle on how to solve the problem. Maybe somebody else in our wonderful DonationCoder community can help you better on this issue.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:14 PM by brahman »

McSam

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You may also want to install the trial version of VueScan, though the Officejet 7310 is not in the list of supported scanners

I installed the trial version and it works with the 7310 doc feeder OK, but there is no "Page" menu item at all. The other 6 menus are there, but not "Page". Also FYI, the trial version litters the pages with nasty watermarks.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I installed the trial version and it works with the 7310 doc feeder OK, but there is no "Page" menu item at all. The other 6 menus are there, but not "Page".

Please refer to my review:
"The Multi Page checkbox is important, since it adds the otherwise invisible Page menu to the menu bar, which allows more ways you can imagine to sort and manipulate the scanned pages (f.e. interleave, swap, separate, reverse, delete, make first etc. etc.)."

IOW: check Input>Multi page and the page menu will magically appear.

Also FYI, the trial version litters the pages with nasty watermarks.

Yes, I guess Ed meant that to be annoying to make the point that people buy his program and not use it for free. It was quite a shock for me too, when I first dld'ed the test version.

The trial version is simply there as a means to test if VueScan works with your scanner.
Regards, Brahman

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brahman,

That is not what "trial version" means. I understand that you aren't the developer so I am not aiming this at you, but a trial version is exactly how it sounds: a version that you can use for a trial period to see if the software will work as you need/want it to for your needs. I have never heard of a trial that is only to check compatibility with your hardware - though that is certainly a valid test to try during the trial/evaluation period. A reasonable trial, IMO, would be to allow the software to function fully either for a limited amount of time or a limited number of scans. I would understand if the developer didn't want to make it time-bound only because someone might be able to scan their entire project during the trial period. So he might want to instead limit the trial to X number of scans and then inactivate the trial. But to allow potential users to scan but also watermark it is a little heavy. Of course that is only my personal opinion.

Thanks!

Jim

BTW, I did install the trial yesterday but I haven't tried scanning anything yet.

Wes

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love detailed reviews. Thanks to you. I'm also glad to see that VueScan supports scanners which date back many years. Many software designers forget those who may be using hardware which though dated still performs well and meets the need of the owner.

anodyne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Brahman,
As others have said, an excellent review! In one of your answers you dropped the following tantalizing tid-bit:

Here I have some special advice: *Any* version *above* Abbyy 7 (i.e. 8,9,10) is almost equally good (they only made some improvements in the interface and added some minor features, and even though they say accuracy has improved, really it hasn't - it is *equally good* in Finereader 8,9, and 10) - but in Europe you can legally buy full versions of 8 or 9 at rock bottom prices at some reputable software vendors. I have seen v8 for US$25.- and v9 for US$35.-. These are full versions with CD incldg shipping (but not to US). You can buy them through a friend and (s)he can simply give you the serial number and you are ready to go. V9 started supporting some form of DjVu I believe.

Could you point me to any such place?  I've looked around, but the only stuff I've seen are links to v10 Pro, v9 Express, and the usual list of warez sites :-(.

Thanks!

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, of course:
you will find them here. All prices include local shipping.

Please note that these are multi-language versions, i.e. you can switch recognition language as well as GUI language.
Regards, Brahman

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've started using VueScan Pro "in earnest" and LOVE it. Thank you, Brahman  :Thmbsup: :-* (I never would have discovered it otherwise).

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, Brahman.  Nice review.  You obviously put serious effort into it!

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
With BeCyPDFMetaEdit or java based jPDF you can add a professional touch to your finished PDF e-book by adding bookmarks and number the e-book exactly like the original, f.e. roman numbers for the preface, arabic numbers for the main text - so that you can enter a page number directly into the application (like the excellent free PDF Xchange Viewer with direct PDF editing capability), and go to the exact corresponding page in the book.
Thanks for mentioning BeCyPDFMetaEdit and jPdf Tweak.

I had some success using the former to add bookmarks (a table of contents) to a PDF file using wine and was able to get the latter to start under xubuntu.  I didn't test the latter further as the former seemed to have a nicer UI for adding/editing bookmarks.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is a video which shows ScanTailor's new ability to dewarp scanned text lines, which at the moment is still done manually. This is a very important feature when scanning books, since the text lines towards the spine of the book tend to get bent.

This feature is in the new test version which can be downloaded here.
Scan Tailor is quite a find.  Thanks for mentioning it :)

Saw it here too and there appears to be a "development" portable version.

Came across this fairly clear video tutorial by the developer.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:49 AM by ewemoa »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is still one of the greatest reviews of all time.  I'm reading it again after setting up my Epson V600 for the first time.  Am I going to have to buy VueScan?  I like this Hamrick guy, too.

TKR

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An exceptional review!!  Thanks.

When might we expect Part II on color profile management. I can't wait.

Thanks

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[deleted]

In this post I was originally complaining about the lack of options on the Standard VueScan:
if you look at the first screenshot, you can see that you have to manually change it from basic settings to standard (or pro). I've never seen this on software before so I somehow glazed over it. I also didnt notice this during the short trial and reluctantly bought the software to get a scanner working.
FWIW I still dont see any option to modify compression of saved file (it's fairly high). But otherwise I'm happier now than I was.

PS I dont recommend ticking the Dark Mode option -- this gets turned on for all of Windows!
Tom
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:09 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
May as well post this here too:
after purchasing VueScan (Standard) I got an email giving me a free license for the Standard Softmaker Office (which is €79,95 here including VAT/sales tax).
FWIW I'm a fan of Softmaker -- it's quick, and very compatible with MS Office.
No idea how long the offer is for... they say "This month":

Thank you for purchasing VueScan! This month, we've teamed up with SoftMaker to offer SoftMaker Standard 2021 for free to all of our customers. You can learn more about SoftMaker here and you can click the link below anytime in the next 7 days to redeem your free license.

Redeem Free SoftMaker Standard 2021 License
Tom

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FWIW I still dont see any option to modify compression of saved file (it's fairly high).

I don"t know about the standard version, but in the professional version there are several options that modify the file size on the output tab:

Image 002.pngReview/Tips: "Scanning - VueScan and Associates" Pt.I: Intro & Bookscanning

F.e.:
JPG/TIFF/PDF size reduction
JPG quality
PDF compression
PDF file type

Regards, Brahman

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don"t know about the standard version, but in the professional version there are several options that modify the file size on the output tab:
is fair enough imo -- if you want serious quality and control you're going to go for the pro version.
There probably is a workaround if you do need a very high quality scan in the Standard version: scan as Tiff. Compression of Tiff files is AFAIK non-destructive, can then be edited & saved as filetype of choice.
Tom