topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FBx eXtender's 'Click switch file box folder feature' - can this be done in AHK?  (Read 15305 times)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm really hooked on the "Click switch file box folder" feature of FileBox eXtender.

However, FileBox eXtender a) is buggy (crashes Dopus all the time, creates problems with the z-order of windows, etc.), and b) is discontinued.

This is why I was wondering whether it would be possible/difficult to re-build that click switch file box folder feature of FileBXtender in AutoHotkey?

That feature makes every application's Open/Save file box automatically switch to the same folder that is open in Windows Explorer (or Dopus, for example) -- as soon as you click on the respective Dopus or Explorer window.

Unfortunately, at the moment I have no idea how to code this in AutoHotkey (although I've done quite a bit of AHK coding).

Thanks already for any ideas,
Cheers David.P

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is why I was wondering whether it would be possible/difficult to re-build that click switch file box folder feature of FileBXtender in AutoHotkey?

Actually, an AHK code for that is already present at DC: LinkExplorerPathToFileDialog. It's still "alpha code".
But you should be able to make it work with Dopus. If you have difficulties with that, let me know. Then I'll into it in the weekend.

HTH,
Winkie

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great, thanks!

Actually I see from the other thread you mentioned that Direct Folders has that feature as well! Good news.

Thus, I'll try and check Direct Folders first.

Thanks again,
Cheers David.P

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I use Direct Folders and it provides the same feature. Directory Opus is what I use as my file manager too.

I also set it so double clicking in empty space inside Directory Opus brings up Direct Folders menu.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also set it so double clicking in empty space inside Directory Opus brings up Direct Folders menu.

How do you do that? For me, the Direct Folders menu doesn't work in Dopus (actually I'd prefer if middle click would brig up the Direct Folders menu).

Also, the "Click switch file box folder feature" sometimes only kicks in after a doing a "change-folder-and-back" in Dopus.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Actually I have it set so either double clicking or middle clicking brings up DF's menu inside DO.

Go to http://resource.dopu...c.php?p=55931#p55931 for details. Click here to watch the video on how to.

Also, the "Click switch file box folder feature" sometimes only kicks in after a doing a "change-folder-and-back" in Dopus.

Yes, that's how it works for me too...not 100% perfect. Might have to do ctrl+tab a couple of times.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

h8ghmaintenance

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if it's because of the 64-bit version of Windows 7 but the Click Switch feature of Direct Folders does not work for me anymore. I also found out that their menu doesn't work in Firefox 3.6 for me and I have to use version 3.5.

As to the type of click, I use Ctrl + Middle click to invoke Direct Folder's menu so that it doesn't interfere with the function middle-click_paste_anywhere (a Autohotkey script) and the Dopus go to parent folder when double-click on a blank area of a lister. I tried all other click variants offered by DF but the Click Switch is definitely dead. The FileBox eXtender Click Switch feature does not work for me either.

I miss so much the Click Switch feature that I can make a small contribution "à la Donation Coder" if someone can solve it for me (through a separate script).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:42 PM by h8ghmaintenance »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I miss so much the Click Switch feature that I can make a small contribution "à la Donation Coder" if someone can solve it for me (through a separate script).
-h8ghmaintenance (August 19, 2010, 04:28 PM)

Yeah, I'd add my donation for that same purpose, since even with Direct Folders on Win XP the Click Switch feature doesn't work that smooth.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm really hooked on the "Click switch file box folder" feature of FileBox eXtender.

However, FileBox eXtender a) is buggy (crashes Dopus all the time, creates problems with the z-order of windows, etc.), and b) is discontinued.

That feature makes every application's Open/Save file box automatically switch to the same folder that is open in Windows Explorer (or Dopus, for example) -- as soon as you click on the respective Dopus or Explorer window.

Unfortunately, at the moment I have no idea how to code this in AutoHotkey (although I've done quite a bit of AHK coding).

Thanks already for any ideas,
Cheers David.P

Better expressed is impossible.
I need the same
 :-[

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Curt  :-[   @Contro, have you tried Listary?  You do need the payware Pro version for this, but it's soon to be on offer on Bits du Jour, as reported by its author here: Listary Pro for only $9.95 on Friday 19 October.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:49 PM by rjbull, Reason: Sorry, Curt! Meant @Contro »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow RJ, Listary looks d*mned good to me! How come that this has never been mentioned before in all the years?

[edit] OK it has  :-[ ...and I've missed it  :huh:

Do you think that it also will work in the proprietary Firefox and MS Office Open/Save dialogs?

Thanks
David
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:48 AM by David.P »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
propietary firefox ? It's not free ?
 :(

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I beg your Pardon?  :huh:

Anyway, Listary DOES work in Firefox! And in MS Office  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tomorrow Listary is 50% off at BitsDuJour  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
propietary firefox ? It's not free ?

I think David.P meant that Firefox has proprietary = non-standard Open/Save dialogs?  Listary Pro does work with Firefox dialogs, as I see David.P has already found  :)

Listary comes in two versions, free and payware.  Take a look at the Listary vs. Listary Pro – Comparison List

It's low-cost and invaluable anyway, and at the Bits du Jour price it's unmissable.

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tomorrow Listary is 50% off at BitsDuJour  :Thmbsup:
Strike! 8)

One question regarding the usage of Listary: I like the option that opens the Listary menu with a middle mouse click (...in all Open/Save dialogs). However, elsewhere I use the middle mouse button for other things (like e.g. opening background tabs in browsers). How can I prevent Listary popping up in these cases?

Cheers David.P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's low-cost and invaluable anyway, and at the Bits du Jour price it's unmissable.
that offer is active now - for the next 20 hours & 45 minutes or so :)
http://bitsdujour.com/

Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for the lifetime of the product.

sounds like you dont have to pay for later upgrades :up:
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
elsewhere I use the middle mouse button for other things (like e.g. opening background tabs in browsers). How can I prevent Listary popping up in these cases?

Oh, dear... that sounds like a Question For The Author...  I presume Listary would need to have per-application hotkey support, like you get in some hotkey and macro programs, and I don't think it has yet.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

One question regarding the usage of Listary: I like the option that opens the Listary menu with a middle mouse click (...in all Open/Save dialogs). However, elsewhere I use the middle mouse button for other things (like e.g. opening background tabs in browsers). How can I prevent Listary popping up in these cases?

Cheers David.P

Where does the browser hotkey come from? Is it an ahk script? If so you can tune it(if you have the source code) to only be active in a list of particular windows.  For example I have a list of editor and browser class names in my AHK script that transposes characters at the left of the caret when I hit Control-t. But it's inactive unless one of those listed is the active window.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... have you tried Listary?  You do need the payware Pro version for this, but it's soon to be on offer on Bits du Jour, as reported by its author here: Listary Pro for only $9.95 on Friday 19 October.

-the offer is on for one more day, Saturday 20 October: http://www.bitsdujou...tware/listary-pro-2/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have one that I'm testing now. It's just a primitive hotkey. I tried doing it the same way as decribed here.  But after messing around I decided it was much easier to do it backwards(I can hear it already)  :)

In ahk if I call WinExist on Explorer type window it will return the "last found" or the one that's on top or last active or something. So I don't have to click on that one. All I have to do is open it so that it's active for a bit(on top.)

Now I hotkey(Control right click) on an Open or SaveAs dialog(the caption has to be either Open or SaveAs and window type dialog #32770 yadda yadda) and if the Explorer window's current folder is a supported type, not Computer or Libraries or some other crap.. a regular path like C:\Program Files\SomeProgramOrOther  then it will be pasted. Naturally it's a good idea to Control Right Click in the edit control where you want it to paste.

I'm going to run it for a while and make sure I didn't miss any big bugs. If it seems usable I'll post it on my site and post the usual thread in General Software Discussion.