ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (18/27) > >>

Darwin:
Bottom line: Apple is what I am grudgingly endorsing (it really kills me to say that!) for now - no learning curve and few pratfalls to worry about...
-Darwin (March 09, 2011, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

If someone asked me for a recommendation for a tablet, I'd say wait a little while longer.

Apple do make some good hardware and software, but I can't recommend Apple to people I care about simple on principle due to their business practices.

Sure, Apple's trains may run on time, but good luck getting toilet paper when you need it!
-Deozaan (March 09, 2011, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D Nice one. My parents have a Snow Leapord desktop (iMac) and two netbooks/ultraportables XP and Win7. They love Mac so I'm not so much recommending Apple as not discouraging them (though I would like to do so). Waiting is the buzzword re: tablets, I'm just not sure that my parents would benefit from waiting...

Stoic Joker:
I got stuck on-site with a (Snow Leopard) Mac user who was trying to get a copy of Quark 6.5 to Print. Now Mind you everything else on the machine could print fine. But the older version of Quark couldn't quite make it past Bonjour to actually get to the printer - Because Bonjour kept moving the target and insisting it need to be redefined.

This cycle repeated every time the user restarted the application. Even if nothing changed, except a refresh of the DHCP assigned IP address. Bonjour (like an idiotic puppy) went romping off to "find" everything again to see where it had gone... Even though the printer, which is statically address, didn't/hasn't/can't move!!!

Now I realize that Apple thinks backward compatability is bad for sales ... But creating a protocol that automagically breaks things? Damn ... If that's their definition of "easy"... I'd much rather do it the hard way.

Darwin:
Ha, ha! I've had quite a few headanging against the (physical) desktop sessions with my parents' iMac and printing... Still, from what I've read, and from six months of using iOS 4.x, I'm more comfortable with the thought of my dear old mum using an iPad than an Android device. Of course, I've been thinking: by June the Galaxy Tab II should be out and available in-store where I am (sorry: June is my mum's birth month). I have actually played around with a Galaxy Tab and liked it a lot. Maybe the II will come with Honeycomb (or get an update) and I'll know enough about Android myself to help them set it up so that they can't mess it up...

Stoic Joker:
Bonjour has got to be one of the most useless, chatty, unsecure POS excuses for a protocol I have ever encountered. Service advertisement, addressing & name resolution all rolled into one "tidy" package (kinda like a used diaper) ... It's no wonder they suck at doing anything on the wire, they've been blinded at birth.

nosh:
My new email sig on the iPad (in an attempt to play both sides)  :P

SpoilerSent from my iPad
( Erase above line to stop sounding like a pretentious prick.
Love, Apple Inc. )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version