ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (13/27) > >>

superboyac:
I think the hard part for people like us to relate to is deactivating our computer minds when we use computers.  Other people just simply do what the screen tells them to do.  So for them, if you don't fight it and let Apple do whatever it wants to do with your iphone/itunes, it usually works just fine.  These people are not normally trying to do "complicated" things like secure wifi connections, etc.  Seriously.  They just plug their thing in and obediently follow the directions.  They don't question them.  They don't wonder why it has to be this way.  They don't try to think about better alternatives.  It's all very passive.  And that doesn't make them dumb or worse than us.  They just don't give a shit about computers.  That's the Apple crowd.  Just like I don't give a shit about cars.  I use my car, but I never think about tweaking anything, nor do I care, nor do I want to think about it.  I don't want to care.

So we can't really criticize Apple for making things simple and catering towards those users.  Apple is not designed for people like us.  I'd love to force it to do things I'd want it to, but I can't say Apple is wrong for doing it that way.  Apple doesn't care for people like me, just like car companies don't care about guys like me.

superboyac:
Also, the other weird thing now is that the Apple/PC lines aren't so clear cut anymore.  Apple has reached so many new users the past couple of years, that their way of doing things is slowly going to have to get a little more complicated than they are used to.  It's inevitable.  More users, more issues to resolve.  Like that configuration utility I mentioned, there are going to have to be more things like that.  Now that makes Apple a little more complicated, and less simple.  A few more of those and the line between simple Apple and complicated PC becomes grayer and grayer.

JavaJones:
Sorry, but no, I'm specifically *not* talking about knowledgeable computer users here. I am talking about people who, for example, plug their iPod into a friend's computer, maybe thinking (not entirely unreasonably) that they can have some of their friend's music (issues of copyright aside!). If it then syncs and wipes out their music, well that is *not cool* and *not intuitive*. No maybe it *does* properly warn them, I don't know I've never run into this, but it's still a pretty wretched practice. Likewise with the completely unnecessary renaming of files by iTunes. Every other media system seems to do fine with the built-in tags of most media files. iTunes, on the other hand, wants to do it in its own proprietary database, subject to corruption, hard to transfer, and certainly near impossible to export to another media system should you ever want to migrate. Of course this is just one of the ways they use to keep people locked-in, but I think it's pretty hard to argue this as a benefit to the consumer, it's clearly done almost solely - if not solely - for lock-in purposes.

And yes I agree things at Apple are getting a bit more complicated. :D Soon they may reach the limit of what they can do within the bounds of their market's knowledge level and their ability to and/or interest in handling support, etc. Hm... Maybe there's an inherent "stupidity level" beyond which Apple will have a hard time growing its features and functionality. Interesting thought.

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker:
@JavaJones - Nice to see this thread getting back on topic... ;)

You definitely do have to be careful. My girlfriend just upgraded her iPhone4 firmware the other night, which was pretty much a disaster. The upgrading process didn't seem to start, making the Windows USB connect/disconnect sounds. So she unplugged the phone... which resulted in it half-bricking, just telling her to connect the phone to the computer to get the firmware updated. Problem being that she uses her iPhone for internet connection...-f0dder (December 02, 2010, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Um... Wow .... That is unbelievable. Given the uber simplistic attitude that surrounds the things you'd think they'd have (anticipated that eventuality) a device that would cache the entire update before doing the bouncing disconnection dance. Instead of trying to (juggle chainsaws) do the download and the update at the same time (that's just flat stupid) It can't be that hard, HP does it with the firmware updates on the big MFPs (Multi-Function Printers). First the new firmware is pushed to the machine via the spooler, and then (assuming it got there intact...) it auto-reboots and applies the new firmware. At the very least they should have done a check to let the user know that the route they're about to take is headed for a cliff...

Luckily she was able to borrow a lil' bit of internet connection love from a neighbor so she could update&unbrick the phone. Only to realize that all her settings and files had been wiped (this is of course pretty normal firmware update procedure, but apparently iTunes hadn't warned her enough about this).-f0dder (December 02, 2010, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

...Normal for what? Or am I missing the sarcasm? Routers sure...If the settings aren't totally wiped, it's usually best to reset and redo them. But the iPhones "firmware" which Apple also calls the iPhone OS (at the convenience of what type of hype/excuse they're trying to make) should not have any impact on user data/settings if it is indeed an OS...which is being upgraded. Once again, HP can manage to pull this off, and there are a shit load of settings on those big MFP when you start considering all of the available network options they have available now to tie into AD/LDAP, Kerberos/SSL authentication, SMTP, Network shares, etc. Ya know...All the stuff Apple sucks at.  :D

Stoic Joker:
if you don't fight it and let Apple do whatever it wants to do with your iphone/itunes, it usually works just fine-superboyac (December 02, 2010, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

That same pitch can be made for sodomy in a prison shower... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version