ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Five Reasons Why People Hate Apple

<< < (7/27) > >>

superboyac:
Well, I've been playing with my ipad for the last couple of days.  I've been pretty impressed so far.  It's a very well built device, with a great screen.  All the touchscreen controls are amazingly responsive, and I've been pretty happy with the few apps I'm using.  In a sense, because there are so many ipad users, there are a lot of apps for it, and you can usually find something you want.  What little I've tried using with Windows 7 tablets is not very nice simply because Windows 7 is not built for tablets specifically.  So it takes a lot of fiddling to get everything tablet-specific with regards to icon sizes, font sizes, multi-touch stuff (which isn't as smooth as ipad).

Now, I still have MAJOR beefs with certain things that are very Apple-ish.  For example, you have to wait for Apple to fix bugs and stuff related to their OS.  With Windows, I am used to finding solutions to problems immediately online.  So Apple's restrictions are both it's strength and weakness.  Sure, by Apple controlling everything (hardware, software, store, delivery, syncing, EVERYTHING) they are able to provide a very simple and streamlined solution to MOST users.  But people like me need to be able to tweak, to experiment, to do little things that are not common.  Like now, I can assign a specific function to the mute-lock slider on the side.  Apparently, before the latest OS update, you could use it to lock the rotation of the screen, which is very useful.  Now, it's used as a mute slider, which is not as useful considering there's another way to do it by holding down the rocker next to it.  So the end user can't choose to switch that function, until Apple decides to let you with a future update.  With Windows, you'd simply download some third party thing or code something yourself to take care of it.  This is partly why i may look into the whole jailbreaking thing soon.  So these little things are what makes Apple very annoying to people like us who use Windows very heavily.

Of course, there's no USB, which is kind of lame.  I have to pay for all sorts of adapters if I want usb or to plug into the tv, and they are all a little on the expensive side.  So that's a bummer, as usual.  Again, typical apple stuff.

But you know what?  None of the other companies have made any tablets nearly as nice as this one.  Do it already!  But it's going to be hard to compete with that build quality and that screen with the great multi-touch responsiveness.

So, this doesn't mean I'm an Apple guy.  Not at all.  My heavy duty computing will be Windows for a long time, I'm guessing.  My Windows Desktop is my computing headquarter.  There's no way an Apple device can do what this baby can do.  But it does take a lot of expertise and customization, which I am used to and good at.  But as a portable gadget, I'm very happy with the ipad and it is better than anything else I've seen out there.  I use it for great GPS, an amazing alarm clock, a great portable pdf reader, a decent music player (I haven't tried the video playing and tv out stuff yet).  It's really great for those little things.  But Apple will never be able to replace the hardcore Windows user and probably never will, because to do so, they'd have to let go of all their proprietary control over hardware/software/stores.  One company will never be able to do all of those things the best way.  Never.

Stoic Joker:
 :huh:
Um... Are you sure you're in the right thread?

zridling:
But as a portable gadget, I'm very happy with the ipad and it is better than anything else I've seen out there.  I use it for great GPS, an amazing alarm clock, a great portable pdf reader, a decent music player (I haven't tried the video playing and tv out stuff yet).  It's really great for those little things. -superboyac (November 30, 2010, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

We're losing him. Quick, bring the tasers and tranquilizer rifles!

Spoiler

zridling:
Just joking superboy. Use what works for you.

superboyac:
haha...don't worry guys.  I'm not a fanboy.  I will say this:  for people outside of our circle here at DC (and others like us) Apple provides the best solutions for computing...by far.  Yes, they lock you in, but if they didn't, it wouldn't be simple enough for most of these people.  I've been thinking a lot about this...just downloading and installing programs from websites is a headache to the average user.  AVERAGE, people.  The little things that get on my nerves simply do not cross other people's minds.

Just to prove I'm not a fanboy:  if anyone ever shows me a comparable device, I will buy it in a heartbeat and get rid of this thing.  That means:
well-made (nothing cheap feeling about it)
Nice screen
Great multi-touch responsiveness
Lots of apps, lots of options (don't really care about the price if reasonable)
Minimal configuration, minimal problems

So, I'll be waiting.  Believe me, this was a pretty weird purchase for me.  I went to the store with my friend and actually paused outside the store entrance before walking in.  I took a sigh, shook my head, and walked in.  I know the ipad 2 is going to come out soon, and I will be angry.  I can already tell that certain things bug me a little.  BUT...there's no better option right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version