ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Command line tools - Console apps heaven

(1/3) > >>

kartal:
Hi
Over the years I have become more of a command line-console tools user. In many occasions I tend to prefer console apps over Gui apps. I think that console apps have some sort of minimalistic beauty embedded in them.

Generally I use Cygwin - Linux console apps.

Here are my favorites. Please list yours as well

Elinks (browser)
Lynx(Browser)
Newsbeuter(Rss reader)
Task (Task-warrior, Task-todo manager)
Cal (Calender app)
Vim (text editor)
Cone(email)
Mutt(email)
Scp(copy utility)
Unison(Sync utility)
Ipython(Python shell)
Necromancer Dos navigator(file browser)
Midnight Commander(file browser)
Centerim(Messaging)

rjbull:
ZTreeWin

widgewunner:
ZTreeWin
-rjbull (August 06, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1
Most powerful file manager - ever.

Sets the gold standard for single-keystroke power commands. (Note that Explorer owes its left pane tree structure design to this program's predecessor: XTree.)

40hz:
ZTreeWin
-rjbull (August 06, 2010, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. Big time.

Worth every penny to register. :Thmbsup:

----###----

Also like to recommend goosh , the "Unofficial Google Shell" over at goosh.org :-*

Here's the help screen:

Here's a search for DonationCoder. Note the complete absence of all the usual junk you normally get with a Google search results page:

And one of my absolute favorite tasks for it: using the gmail compose command to create an email in GMail. (Note: asks to open the composition page in a new window first.):

Which then opens to this:

Also great for retrieving GMail when you don't want to open the whole sideshow.

I don't think I've entered GMail through the 'front door' even once since I found out about goosh.

If you regularly use Google, you just gotta love :-* this thing. 

Drag it into your bookmarks toolbar before you forget! Firefox users can add it to their search options with the addengine command. :Thmbsup:

techidave:

Most powerful file manager - ever.

Sets the gold standard for single-keystroke power commands. (Note that Explorer owes its left pane tree structure design to this program's predecessor: XTree.)

I remember Xtree.  I think the version I used was Xtree Gold.  It beat anything else that I tried at that time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version