topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App  (Read 322618 times)

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Teaser: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #300 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12 AM »
Hi,

Build 69:

"@" isn'n recognized.

The replacement text "abc.xyz@aol.de" becomes "abc.xyzaol.de" when the mnemonic is replaced.
Ralf

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: December 21, 2010, 09:02 AM »
Hi,

Build 69:

"@" isn'n recognized.

The replacement text "abc.xyz@aol.de" becomes "abc.xyzaol.de" when the mnemonic is replaced.

Ok, that's working here - I have several email addresses in my list that still seem ok. Can you show me exactly what you have in the mnemonic and replacement field please? A screenshot would be good.

ralfso

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: December 21, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Tested with Word and Notepad (XP and Vista). All other E-Mail-adresses are also not working. They worked correct with v.0.65.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:41 PM by ralfso »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: December 21, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Tested with Word and Notepad (XP and Vista). All other E-Mail-adresses are also not working. They worked correct with v.0.65.

I am at a loss! STILL working here, with your exact Replacement set up.

Could someone else try this too please?

Mr Ralfso, I'd like to get a look at the XML that Auspex has created for that Replacement... would that be possible?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2010, 05:11 PM »

Works okay for me [email protected] expanded from mnemonic te test.pngNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Thanks Chris.

A locale issue perhaps... what's your keyboard layout please Mr Ralfso?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42 PM »
timns

You know, the minimizing stuff is still not right.                                                   
I'm talking about when minimize to tray is set on.                                                   
Launch, then hit close to minimize to tray.                                                               
Goes to tray but also sits on the task bar (XP SP3).                                                 
Double-click on the task-bar item and nothing happens.                                               
Can't right-click restore from the task-bar item either.                                                   

Also, doesn't respect 'not show' splash screen (I know it's lovely but… )                             

That'll give you something to think about as you hang around in frozen airports for the next week or so.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54 PM »
timns

That'll give you something to think about as you hang around in frozen airports for the next week or so.

-cranioscopical (December 21, 2010, 05:42 PM)

Yes, I'm still looking at that. I can tell you WHY that dumb window hangs around - it's Windows thinking that because I have a lovely little popup window hanging around, that I'd like a honking great button in the taskbar too.

Some of the little option thingies (like the splash) are not hooked up. It's all on the todo: list, and as soon as I can get a bit of a breather from work I'll sweep up all these little niggles. Thanks for your patience!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2010, 05:58 PM »
timns

-cranioscopical (December 21, 2010, 05:42 PM)

Yes, I'm still looking at that. I can tell you WHY that dumb window hangs around - it's Windows thinking that because I have a lovely little popup window flying about, that I'd like a honking great button in the taskbar too.

Some of the little option thingies (like the splash) are not hooked up. It's all on the todo: list, and as soon as I can get a bit of a breather from work I'll sweep up all these little niggles. Thanks for your patience!

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: December 22, 2010, 12:38 AM »
I am at a loss! STILL working here, with your exact Replacement set up.
Mr Ralfso, I'd like to get a look at the XML that Auspex has created for that Replacement... would that be possible?
Please call me Ralf.

My keyboard layout is "German" on both computers (XP and Vista).
Here is my cleaned up xml-file (still not working correct):

regards
Ralf

Ralf

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Hi,

here some other characters which fail (all typed with Alt Gr on german keyboard):

{ [ ] } \ @ ~ |

German keyboard-layout: http://upload.wikime..._keyboard_German.svg
Ralf

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Thanks Ralf, I shall have a look. The use of Alt Gr is the clue I imagine.

EDIT: Ok, I see the problem - I'll see what I can do to get this fixed shortly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:27 PM by timns »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2011, 07:14 AM »
Happy New Year everyone.

I just uploaded build 70 which I hope will fix the missing "@" and other characters for users whose keyboards do not have those characters available without an alt-keypress.

I haven't been able to try it myself, so would appreciate any and all feedback, as ever.  :Thmbsup:

ralfs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #313 on: January 02, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Happy new year too!

I've tried with all AltGr keys on german keyboard: ²³{[]}\@~|
All this characters are replaced correctly.

Thanks
Ralf
Ralf

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33 AM »
Not looked throughu the whole thread, but I just quickly tried it out and found a bug: disabled the splash screen in the options - however it still shows when launching.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2011, 07:01 AM »
Not looked throughu the whole thread, but I just quickly tried it out and found a bug: disabled the splash screen in the options - however it still shows when launching.

Oh yes. That's on my list. I'll do another release sometime this week, and make sure that's on there.

Thanks!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Typo in the "Getting Started" paragraph of the Wiki: "deteced" should be "detected"

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Good catch!

Folks, can I direct your attention to this thread:

https://www.donation....msg231091#msg231091

Where Mr mouser has kindly created a little subboard for the app. I'm hoping we can launch various sub-threads to help track ideas, issues, requests, bugs etc.

ralfso

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2011, 01:16 PM »
So what shall we do?

Discuss here or at the new thread?

On using your programm I imported a text file which worked very well. Now I have a lot of entries in the "imported" folder.
Is it right, that the autoscroll feature in the list window isn't implemented yet?
If the list is loger than the window I can't move entries from one folder to another.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Discuss in the new section i think:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25182.0

And let's close this thread.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21 PM »
And let's close this thread.

Is there a convention to put a final message saying "This thread is closed and locked," or something like that, in larger than usual font?

ralfso

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2011, 02:34 PM »
I think timns shout douplicate the entry-posting to the new location first, before discussing at the new place.

rashford

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auspex - clipboard problem
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Lovely little app, I used it for half an hour and was looking forward to adding it to my "always on" utilities. However...I do a lot of my coding in VB6 (yeah, I know, but its what the punters want!) and, like all of the other clipboard managers, the VB IDE screws up when it's loading if Auspex is running. This is because VB and/or some VB add-ins seem to set up the icons on their toolbar buttons by copying them to and from the clipboard, and if there is a clipboard manager running, an error is generated and toolbars can go missing.

Is there any chance of making the clipboard function optional?

A few other things I noticed:
- I couldn't get the splash screen not to display (the setting doesn't have any effect)
- I couldn't get it to start with Windows, again irrespective of the relevant setting
- The auto-complete popup box always displayed as black text on a yellow background, again regardless of the settings

I really would like to use this utility, but the VB problem means I can't.

Thanks

Roger

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Lovely little app, I used it for half an hour and was looking forward to adding it to my "always on" utilities. However...I do a lot of my coding in VB6 (yeah, I know, but its what the punters want!) and, like all of the other clipboard managers, the VB IDE screws up when it's loading if Auspex is running. This is because VB and/or some VB add-ins seem to set up the icons on their toolbar buttons by copying them to and from the clipboard, and if there is a clipboard manager running, an error is generated and toolbars can go missing.

Is there any chance of making the clipboard function optional?

A few other things I noticed:
- I couldn't get the splash screen not to display (the setting doesn't have any effect)
- I couldn't get it to start with Windows, again irrespective of the relevant setting
- The auto-complete popup box always displayed as black text on a yellow background, again regardless of the settings

I really would like to use this utility, but the VB problem means I can't.

Thanks

Roger

Roger, thank you!

I shall make the clipboard handler optional, so in your case you can switch it off.

As for the other items - oh yes, those and several other features are still "in progress" but rest assured will be addressed shortly.

Merrylic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2011, 05:24 AM »
I tried Auspex for 10 minutes but hate to tell that I can't share the excitement.

As you want to market the software commercially, I would suggest to carefully review the HUGE number of your competitors:

• Auspex is constantly throwing error message whatever I do in the program.
  • The user interface is really quirky at the present stage. It flickers like a discotheque, controls are overlapping, etc. Even given for its Alpha(?) status, it looks unprofessional. Keep in mind that the first impression counts. Check out "DirectAccess" for a more beautiful approach.
  • Your single-words autocompletion already exist in the freeware "LetMeType".
  • Take a look on "AutoHotkey" which has flexible automation capabilities.
  • The freeware "PhraseExpress" - which I consider the boss in town - takes this approach even further and can detect and auto-complete full sentences.

In general, it will be very difficult to beat a power house llike PhraseExpress. It is so reliable, established, feature-rich AND free that it will be very hard to compete unless your software has anything where it stands out.

You have to define your unique selling proposition. I can't find it yet. There is any feature that does not exist in any other of the established programs. And the biggest issue is that the market price for this genre is already set to $0.

I believe it is big failure if you don't perform any thorough market research before starting a commercial project unless you entertain it as a hobby.

Please don't take it as an offense. I appreciate your efforts and I am really just trying to be helpful.

By the way, you seem to be using FamFam icons. You should give credit, where credit is due!