topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App  (Read 322639 times)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #325 on: January 14, 2011, 05:34 AM »
By the way, you seem to be using FamFam icons. You should give credit, where credit is due!

Where? I looked over the various images and the screencast, and don't see any of those. I like to think myself an expert since I spent quite some time pouring over the various FamFamFam Silk icons while writing JottiQ, which uses those icons, and all in all I think the Silk icon set is a lot more polished in my eyes than whatever Auspex seems to be using. (Then again, sadly enough, Silk is also over-used so maybe that's really a good thing.)

Merrylic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: January 14, 2011, 05:59 AM »
I am sorry if I mixed it up but really thought it would be famfam as the icons used really look overused.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2011, 06:08 AM »
If you want to make sure, look here at the showcase of all of FamFamFam's Silk Icons.

Merrylic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Indeed, he seems to use FamFam without giving credit. Shame!

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2011, 06:28 AM »
He does? Point out which icons, please? I'm curious as I really don't see it.  :-[

Merrylic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59 AM »
At least the stats icon (the bar diagram icon) appears obvious and many other icons look like from many other programs. The author will know and certainly add a credit if it is due.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: January 14, 2011, 08:05 AM »
Very true. But in case he didn't and just grabbed them from some site listing free icons (which tend to randomly spider icons from all over the web), now he does know a bit more detail. :) Either way, I am sure timns appreciates you bringing it to his attention.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: January 14, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Oh you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Auspex is and will always be donationware. I wrote it for DC's NANY because I wanted to participate, not make a fortune. Which, let's face it, ain't never going to happen.

Now I know where the icons come from I shall of course give credit.

After I heard about Phrase Express the other day, I did actually give it a try. Didn't like it. It learns the most bizarre phrases! Merrylic, would you like me to buy you a license for it?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: January 14, 2011, 03:09 PM »
I would suggest to carefully review the HUGE number of your competitors:
I listed some of them in another thread, here.

The freeware "PhraseExpress" - which I consider the boss in town
No, that's Instant Text.  But it's fiercely expensive.

it will be very difficult to beat a power house llike PhraseExpress. It is so reliable, established, feature-rich AND free

The software seems good but I and others on DC have disagreed with the company's attitude.  Being miffed at the time, I went on to Typing Assistant, which I rate excellent.  Besides, when I registered, Phrase Express was free for personal use only, and much of my computing at the time was done at work.  To get some useful features, you had to pay for the moderately expensive Pro version (about $70 I think) of the time.  The feature I was interested in was being able to use the same short form for more than one long text, e.g. "apon" for "application," "apparition," and "apportion."  Typing Assistant can do that without extra cost.  I'm not currently planning to upgrade my Phrase Express license for the latest edition, but agree it has many fans.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: January 14, 2011, 03:18 PM »
To some extent I actually prefer not to look too closely at other similar software, that way it does not (I hope) unduly influence how I implement features, or even what features I choose to add to the application.

I am surprised at how many other variants are out there, but I'd like to think that my software has at least one or two things to commend it, I mean apart from the wonderful icons  :Thmbsup:

Some great suggestions and support from certain DC members will ensure my continued efforts. Bugs will get fixed, and new thingies will creep in as I carry on.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2011, 02:29 AM »
Hi,

as you discuss our software PhraseExpress, I kindly ask to step in.

The software seems good but I and others on DC have disagreed with the company's attitude

Rjbull, I believe this describes your posting best. ;-)

No, that's Instant Text.  But it's fiercely expensive.

InstantText is absolutely worth its money for its specific purpose and is tailored with awesome capabilities to the specific market of medical/legal transcription. However, I would hesitate to say that it has "more features" than PhraseExpress.

InstantText does not support text formatting, does not offer completion of full sentences and afaik, it has no macro automation programming language. Just to name a few.

PhraseExpress is not only a text auto-completion software, but also a text/code snippets organizer. Well, ...Merylic already provided the list of features.

The feature I was interested in was being able to use the same short form for more than one long text, e.g. "apon" for "application," "apparition," and "apportion."

I am happy to tell, that this feature always was and is available in the free version and I am sorry if you missed that.

This video illustrates it for you:

Michael
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:43 AM by BartelsMedia »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39 AM »
After I heard about Phrase Express the other day, I did actually give it a try. Didn't like it. It learns the most bizarre phrases!

PhraseExpress only learns what you enter and does not blend or mix it up. ;-)

By the way, I had a brief look at your software as well. Does your software really reveal and store passwords in your program visible for everybody after I entered them in web forms a few times? Whoa!  :-\
Michael
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:40 AM by BartelsMedia »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2011, 10:37 AM »
After I heard about Phrase Express the other day, I did actually give it a try. Didn't like it. It learns the most bizarre phrases!

PhraseExpress only learns what you enter and does not blend or mix it up. ;-)

By the way, I had a brief look at your software as well. Does your software really reveal and store passwords in your program visible for everybody after I entered them in web forms a few times? Whoa!  :-\

Only if you are crazy enough to have passwords that are simple text only. You have simple easy to crack passwords? Whoa!  :o

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10 AM »
So, you want to teach your users your ideas of how their passwords have to look like?
Michael

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2011, 11:33 AM »
So, you want to teach your users your ideas of how their passwords have to look like?

Well, no, just common sense really.

If I've helped someone improve their security by mentioning that passwords should be a mix of upper/lower, symbols and numbers then I hope I've made the interwebs a slightly safer place.

Hey kids, be safe: passwords should be a mix of upper/lower, symbols and numbers!

http://en.wikipedia....for_strong_passwords

This has been a public service announcement on an otherwise irrelevant thread  :Thmbsup:

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Of course, you can laugh at your users this way but you may want to check out this.

Anway, it is your business. Good luck. Bye.
Michael

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Of course, you can laugh at your users this way but you may want to check out this.
I wasn't laughing at my users - I love these guys. But we should be able to laugh at ourselves.

Anway, it is your business. Good luck. Bye.

No, just a hobby. Thank you for the good wishes - you inspire me to carry on improving the software  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:14 PM by timns »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Indeed, he seems to use FamFam without giving credit. Shame!

Consider me chastised. Now I know that some of my icons are from FamFam, I have added a link to his site from the About screen of Auspex, and I'll also add a credit to the documentation when it's available to the masses.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2011, 12:36 PM »
But we should be able to laugh at ourselves.

Of course. The challenge with a text input helper is that it actually is serious business.

Users will certainly not appreciate if a utility reveals their passwords and may forget to smile if a guy's password named after his Ex pops up in front of his wive. ;-)
Michael

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Looks like we have a case here of there being some useful issues to talk about (how to deal with passwords in such programs) -- but being raised in a less than ideally helpful manner..  Let's try to remember that we are trying to be helpful to each other here not to score debating points.  And yeah, we all need to keep our sense of humour or we'll never survive :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2011, 01:01 PM »
It would only pop up if a) she started typing the Ex's name or b) Mr Serious set up a replacement to autotype the Ex's name for some reason. Is there something you're trying to tell us?

Auspex detects passwords, and password fields, as best it can, and tries not to save them. No doubt it'll get better over time since I'm really enjoying developing this product. In fact, much more so after today  :Thmbsup:

Do you have any other good advice for my product? Because this is gold as far as improving my free software goes.  8)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: January 15, 2011, 01:15 PM »
timns - may I congratulate you on your patience, humility and general good-naturedness while facing a rather uncool poster, it's a pleasure to see and has greatly increased my desire to see Auspex through to maturity.

Keep on trucking...  :Thmbsup:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: January 15, 2011, 03:40 PM »

By the way, I had a brief look at your software as well. Does your software really reveal and store passwords in your program visible for everybody after I entered them in web forms a few times? Whoa!  :-\

Something just happened that has absolutely made my day. I just tried PhraseExpress and guess what? It reveals more passwords than Auspex does  ;D

baloney.jpg

Whoa! :-\

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:45 PM by timns »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: January 15, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Please right-click the item and you are set:

don.png

Problem solved! :Thmbsup:

By the way, this is no excuse but just for the records: What you have entered is a passphrase, not a password. We explain the resulting implication regarding the text prediction feature in the manual.

timns, you started bad-mouthing our product. You should stop it now, OK? It is for no good.
Michael
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:20 PM by BartelsMedia »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: January 15, 2011, 04:17 PM »
what happened to trying to be nice and constructive to each other?