ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (20/34) > >>

wraith808:
I think with a true tablet pc, some of the software that you mentioned becomes obsolete.  That's the reason that I'm trying to develop something that will let me launch items in a pen environment.  There are some, but they go further, using gestures and such.  I want to be able to navigate and click with a pen, visually, rather than mnemonically.  FARR, LBC, and DOpus just don't really work for me in a pen environment- they're built around a different paradigm IME.  I've also tried circle dock, radius, object dock...  the closest I've come so far is Beryoko and/or Fences.

superboyac:
I think with a true tablet pc, some of the software that you mentioned becomes obsolete.  That's the reason that I'm trying to develop something that will let me launch items in a pen environment.  There are some, but they go further, using gestures and such.  I want to be able to navigate and click with a pen, visually, rather than mnemonically.  FARR, LBC, and DOpus just don't really work for me in a pen environment- they're built around a different paradigm IME.  I've also tried circle dock, radius, object dock...  the closest I've come so far is Beryoko and/or Fences.
-wraith808 (September 03, 2010, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, yes.  You have a very good point.  I imagine it comes down to the question: "what do we do with what we normally accomplish with keyboards"?  The mouse/stylus switch is very logical.  But how do we replace our keyboard functionality with a stylus?  The simple answer is the onscreen virtual keyboard.  But there must be something more elegant.  Like you say, gestures is one thing, but not exactly perfect.  I think handwriting recognition, if done smoothly, can be the way.  Like using the Ritepen program.

I'm so curious....maybe I'll just go and get the cheaper HP tablet to play around. Ay yay yay...how many times can one person change his mind?

wraith808:
Many times apparently...  this is going to seem rather strange considering I've been touting the advantages of the tc1100...

... I am now the owner of an iPad. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love my tc1100, and will not use it any less, but when doing reading and such, the battery life bit has been a problem.  I love having access to everything i normally do, but the battery life is really making it so that I can't just pick up the device and go when I am at home and just want to grab something.  I was going to get a nook, and had it in my hands at Best Buy, but then we passed by the Apple department in Best Buy and my wife told me I should go ahead and get it.  Then proceeded to take the nook to put it back on the shelf.  So here I am.  :-[ 

Comparing the two side by side, the iPad is a more casual device.  Media consumption is awesome... and not being locked to an ebook platform or even just ebooks is even more awesome.  But when I need to get something done, or want to do serious writing, I still go to the tc1100.

And having both will be really good for DM'ing, as I can have the reference books on my iPad, and run the actual game off of the tc1100.  At least that's my plan...

Dormouse:
we passed by the Apple department in Best Buy and my wife told me I should go ahead and get it.  Then proceeded to take the nook to put it back on the shelf.
-wraith808 (September 05, 2010, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

... so that's the secret of Apple

Deozaan:
superboyac, I came back to this thread to tell you to get an iPad.

I originally told you that if it was me I'd get an Android tablet. But I've since thought about it and realized it isn't me. That is, you didn't ask me what I would get. You asked what you should get. And it seems to me you want an iPad so you should get what you want. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version