ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

<< < (6/34) > >>

wraith808:
I'd planned to use my jungle disk account and dropbox for the heavy lifting where file storage is concerned
-wraith808 (August 06, 2010, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
You know what I use for this stuff?  HFS.  I set up my own file server at home and use the web interface.  I really like it.

however, one day my next big project is to create my own personal server with really fast speeds.  My ISP has slow upload speeds, as do most isps.  One day, i want my own commercial grade server to put all my websites, shared files, file transferring, etc.  I want to have control over all of that eventually.  The only thing I don't want to control, nor can i, is the grid access.  I want a fast line for uploading/downloading/traffic and all the hardware, web space, servers, etc. is under my control.  I don't like committing to any cloud services.  I'd much rather set up an application myself on my own hardware, and simply use the isp to access it from anywhere.  This is my goal eventually.
-superboyac (August 06, 2010, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I *could* set up my own service- in fact I've done it before.  Why did I change?  Reliability.  Jungle Disk allayed a lot of my concerns about my data by the fact that I have it on S3.  And now I don't have to worry about hardware issues.  I have my data on a dedicated home machine, but I know that if it goes out, I don't have to worry about the financial costs (and time) of replacing it/troubleshooting it immediately.

superboyac:
Now I'm considering using some of the money to buy an X-series walkman from Sony, and using the rest to get some other kind of tablet....or just save it for getting a nice tablet later on.

superboyac:
Hmm!!  I've just been reading around and i think i've found the product that suits me best.  They are called UMPC's (ultra mobile PC).  The one I am eyeing is the Viliv N5.  Perhaps this is the best solution for someone like me.

To me, it seems like all the non-apple tablets are still in the very premature phases.  meaning, the OS's aren't even built for tablet use, they are just being shoe-horned to work that way.  Also, I find that they way people who use use UMPC's speak about things is more in line with what I like and do.  The Apple people and smartphone users are different kind of users than I am.  i think that's a big indicator of the right device for me.  All the UMPC seem to be thinking like me.  That tells me I'm on the right track.

I like the idea of running Win7 full on a little device, and have instant-on and relatively long battery life (compared to a laptop).  I've always liked keyboards over touch stuff anyway.  I think I found my item.

wraith808:
lf I remember correctly, UMPCs were the next evolution of tablet pcs. I tried one- a Samsung I believe. I remember being less than overwhelmed. It was a coo| device, don't get me wrong, it just Seemed it was an under powered tablet pc. And the instant On was overrated. I also remember the battery life was exaggerated. Just food for thought.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/umpc/default.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12973

superboyac:
The N5 has been getting really good reviews.  I watched a couple of youtube videos and it seemed to be fine to me.

The other thing I've just run into is an RDp app for the ipad.  if I set up my home computer for an RDP connection, could I use this app to do that?  Actually, regardless of an addon app, would it be possible somehow to use an ipad to connect to an RDP computer at home running XP or win7?  Seems like an intriguing possibility.

But I like the idea of being able to play with the device like a full-fledged computer.  I'm even interested in the people trying to put linux distros on the N5.  If this stuff works well enough to be a satisfying experience, I might just do it.

The UI and experience of the ipad is lovely to me.  But every time I get more into it, I get more turned off by its limitations.  My brain is really really used to Windows and doing whatever I want with it.  I'm very very particular and I sometimes tweak every little setting.  i don't know how well I'll be able to temporarily suspend my mentality away from that.  Heck, I even meticulously tweak my taskbar clock display.

I think the real question for me is this:
What device do i want to get now while I wait for the tablet, UMPC, or ipad-killer market to fully mature.  The answer so far is the N5 I think.  but I am changing my mind by the hour!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version