ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I buy a tablet pc, ipad, netbook, or other?

(1/34) > >>

superboyac:
I have about $700 to spend.  I was initially going to get an ipad to do some computing on the run.  basically, just act like a notepad, some internet browsing, some reading.  I'm not expecting too much else.  I'm not planning on using it to do a lot of work on it.  For that, I have my super PC at home.

Like I said, I was going to get an ipad, but then I started reading around here and the web and there are some other alternatives.  I like the idea of a Linux or Android tablet because it probably means I can customize it for my needs better.  But I do want to easy and very nice interface of the ipad.  I don't want some klunky windows tablet, like I remember years ago.  Say what you want about apple, but the user interface is very smooth and I like it.  Of course, i've seen some android phones that are smooth also.  All I'm saying is that I do care about that.  i don't want a really powerful tablet that doesn't respond well to the finger movements and so forth.

wraith808:
The tablet pc doesn't have a clunky interface- it's actually a lot more elegant with the right software installed.  I'm trying to catch up on my blogging, and I'll show you some things that really blew the iPad out of the water- and this is from my friends that have iPads!

In the end the decision between a tablet pc and an ipad consists of two things apart from functionality that I've found: weight and convenience.  The tc1100 is the same form factor as the iPad- it's just thicker.  But that thickness is weight.  Then the convenience and weight converge when you get to endurance.  If you're going to be on the run a lot, and want to be able to grab the device and know that it's more than likely charged, the iPad is going to do that for you.  So far, I've been able to get about 3 hours on the Tablet.  It hasn't shut down, but it's been pretty close by the time I plugged it in.  Another battery will either have longer life, or I'll be swapping them (they're warm swappable from what I understand).  So that's more convenience lost, and more weight to carry.

There are other differences, but this is the main one in my eyes.  So if you're going to be using it away from home for extended periods, the iPad might be better for you (or maybe one of the newer tablets- I don't know what battery life is going to be like on those).  If you're just going to be using it around the house and taking it out occasionally, then one of the tablet pcs gives you a *lot* more functionality.

(Oh... and I didn't vote :))

phitsc:
If I had $700 to spend (which I have not) and wouldn't want to wait until early next years arrival of Android-based competition (which I probably will) I'd buy an iPad. I think it's a nice device for what you (and me, and everyone else ;) ) want to use it for. My main complaints with it: somewhat restrictive concerning data-syncing (iTunes etc.), price and weight. I don't mean to say that the price would not be justified, or that it's too heavy to use. I'd rather like both of these attributes to be a bit lower ;)

Deozaan:
Admittedly I'm not as well informed on the issue for my opinion to be of much value to you, but assuming similar hardware specs (to the iPad), I'd go for an Android tablet.

superboyac:
If I had $700 to spend (which I have not) and wouldn't want to wait until early next years arrival of Android-based competition (which I probably will) I'd buy an iPad. I think it's a nice device for what you (and me, and everyone else ;) ) want to use it for. My main complaints with it: somewhat restrictive concerning data-syncing (iTunes etc.), price and weight. I don't mean to say that the price would not be justified, or that it's too heavy to use. I'd rather like both of these attributes to be a bit lower ;)
-phitsc (August 04, 2010, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Let's say i wait...how long until Android tablets are available?  Would Android be better than a Win7 tablet, like the HP Slate?

Admittedly I'm not as well informed on the issue for my opinion to be of much value to you, but assuming similar hardware specs (to the iPad), I'd go for an Android tablet.
-Deozaan (August 04, 2010, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds good to me, I just want to know how long I have to wait.  There's a cutoff point.  if it's like next August, I can't wait that long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version