topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sort OneNote 2010 Sections  (Read 95825 times)

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sort OneNote 2010 Sections
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:54 PM »
As a heavy user of OneNote, I am generally happy with the 2010 version. One of the drawbacks is that most add-ins, written for the 2007 version, no longer work for notebooks in the 2010 format, or are unreliable. I am beginning to get familiar with programming for OneNote 2010 and trying my hand at some utilities myself.

The OneNote utility I am sharing here is "OneNote 2010 Sort Utility". I found that the existing one by Daniel Escapa does not work for my 2010-formatted notebooks.
This utility sorts sections within notebooks and section groups and and (sub)pages within sections. The sorting can be done by name or lastModifiedTime, ascending or descending, and can be done recursively (for sections in section groups in the currently selected notebook or section group, etc) or not. The sorting routines respect subpage structure. For some reason, the section groups themselves apparently cannot be sorted.

I have only been able to do limited testing, but the utility appears to work well, also for notebooks stored on SkyDrive, as mine are.
I hope some gallant souls are willing to try this out and give me some feedback.

The zip-file contains a setup file. Just install and run and you get a treeview of your notebooks. Browse to the notebook, section group, section or page whose sections or (sub)pages you want to sort and press the button.

Requirements: .NET Framework 4, OneNote 2010.

Cheers,
Jan Roelof
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:00 PM by jpijper »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sort OneNote 2010 Sections
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24 PM »
That sounds useful, I'm going to take a look.

Thanks!

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41 AM »
I have released an improved version of the OneNote 2010 Sorting Utility. I you downloaded the original version, please go back to the first post and download "OneNote2010SortSetup.zip".

Have fun!
Jan Roelof

wales

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Jan

I installed this and the message 'Net Framework 4 reqd'  for it to work.

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:20 AM »
Jan

I installed this and the message 'Net Framework 4 reqd'  for it to work.

Yes, it needs .NET Framework 4. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft...2&displaylang=en.

I'll edit the post to include this information.

Jan Roelof

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Another version of the OneNote 2010 Sort Utility.
I took out some bugs, mainly.

Jan Roelof

saurgarg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:31 AM »
Thanks a lot, I have been looking for this for some time now. However, then I try it I am getting following error:

The type initializer for 'JrOnomNamespace.OnenoteHierarchy' threw an exception.

-Saurabh

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Thanks a lot, I have been looking for this for some time now. However, then I try it I am getting following error:

-Saurabh

Oops - this obviously should not happen ;)  It almost sounds as if OneNote is not installed. Can you give some more details please? Operating system, OneNote version, where are your notebooks (local, shared network drive, sharepoint, skydrive), stuff like that? I promise you we'll get to the bottom of this!

Jan Roelof

saurgarg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48 AM »
I found the problem, I guess I am still not using RTM version of the office. I will try to upgrade and see if it works.

Thanks,
-Saurabh
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:02 AM by saurgarg »

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I found the problem, I guess I am still not using RTM version of the office. I will try to upgrade and see if it works.

Thanks,
-Saurabh

Thanks, keep us posted?
Jan Roelof

tosmith1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Hello,
I just joined the forum and paid for a lifetime key because to me the OneNote 2010 Sorter is well worth $38.00. I have office 2010 with Win 7 and it sorted the pages perfectly and even displayed the end result.

Thanks you for your work on this.

Thomas Smith
Northport, Al USA

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 04:14 AM »
Great to hear, Thomas!

gorodskaja

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:03 AM »
I updated my NET Framework, how to pay a product, or it`s free version? Thx!

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 04:04 AM »
I updated my NET Framework, how to pay a product, or it`s free version? Thx!
This is free, gorodskaja.

Jan Roelof

frugalsolutions

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Any new updates to the Sort OneNote 2010?

I tried downloading the zip file and extracting the contents, and got the Windows message that the zip cannot be opened.

It appears to me that there is a significant need for this solution. I have a lot of notes that I have moved from Outlook to OneNote and I have had them in sorted alphabetical order by title of the page (that is tab) while using OneNote 2007. Now that I am on OneNote 2010, I cannot sort using the prior sort addin that was available.

I don't have subpages but do need to sort tabs within a section, so when I create a new one, like I just did for DonationCoder, I don't have to manually drag it up from the bottom of the list to the "c" area through 650 other pages already there.

Thanks in advance.

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Any new updates to the Sort OneNote 2010?

I tried downloading the zip file and extracting the contents, and got the Windows message that the zip cannot be opened.

It appears to me that there is a significant need for this solution. I have a lot of notes that I have moved from Outlook to OneNote and I have had them in sorted alphabetical order by title of the page (that is tab) while using OneNote 2007. Now that I am on OneNote 2010, I cannot sort using the prior sort addin that was available.

I don't have subpages but do need to sort tabs within a section, so when I create a new one, like I just did for DonationCoder, I don't have to manually drag it up from the bottom of the list to the "c" area through 650 other pages already there.

Thanks in advance.
-frugalsolutions (November 20, 2010, 08:11 AM)

I just downloaded and opened the zip file without any problems! Please try again.

Good luck!
Jan Roelof

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29 AM »
 :D Thank you for this - only found it today. Works like a dream!

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:30 AM »
:D Thank you for this - only found it today. Works like a dream!

You are very welcome ;)
Jan Roelof

frugalsolutions

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I was using the latest FireFox and its downloader, which did not produce a zip file that worked (this is the first time I have had this issue on any download). But you were right, your file link is good. I started up Google Chrome and downloaded using it and got a perfectly good file.  There is something going on with the FireFox downloading, it seems.

Anyway, I installed your program. Very nice, simple and understandable interface. I selected my section of Notes, with 799 pages in it (no subpages). Before I ran the sort, I went to the OneNote folder and did a right click, copy, paste and rename of the file so that I would have a backup, in case anything went wrong with the sort). Since your program throws up a warning that the sort can't be undone, it would be nice to give the option to do a backup or suggest the user do it, just because there is so much in OneNote that can be lost.

When I ran the sort, it took a few seconds to run the sort and complete the sort of 799 pages. Perfect results!

As an external program, it is nice as a way of ordering what you have.

I encourage you to keep up on this and maybe spread the word on other forums, like the Microsoft OneNote forums, so that others can benefit from your gem of a sort solution!

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I was using the latest FireFox and its downloader, which did not produce a zip file that worked (this is the first time I have had this issue on any download). But you were right, your file link is good. I started up Google Chrome and downloaded using it and got a perfectly good file.  There is something going on with the FireFox downloading, it seems.

Anyway, I installed your program. Very nice, simple and understandable interface. I selected my section of Notes, with 799 pages in it (no subpages). Before I ran the sort, I went to the OneNote folder and did a right click, copy, paste and rename of the file so that I would have a backup, in case anything went wrong with the sort). Since your program throws up a warning that the sort can't be undone, it would be nice to give the option to do a backup or suggest the user do it, just because there is so much in OneNote that can be lost.

When I ran the sort, it took a few seconds to run the sort and complete the sort of 799 pages. Perfect results!

As an external program, it is nice as a way of ordering what you have.

I encourage you to keep up on this and maybe spread the word on other forums, like the Microsoft OneNote forums, so that others can benefit from your gem of a sort solution!

-frugalsolutions (November 20, 2010, 08:32 AM)

Glad it works for you!
I posted this on the OneNote Microsoft Answers forum as well, months ago, so people should be able to find it, but maybe I should post a reminder.
This will remain an external program rather than an add-in until the OneNote team make it easier to make an add-in for the 2010 version ;)

Jan Roelof

Mottie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Hiya!

I'm getting the same error that Saurgarg was getting:

And I do have .Net 4 installed (client profile and extended, version 4.0.30319), MS Office v14.0.4734.1000 (64-bit) and using local files. Could it be that I'm using the 64-bit version?

Thanks!
Rob

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:51 AM »
Hiya!

I'm getting the same error that Saurgarg was getting:

And I do have .Net 4 installed (client profile and extended, version 4.0.30319), MS Office v14.0.4734.1000 (64-bit) and using local files. Could it be that I'm using the 64-bit version?

Thanks!
Rob

All I know about the 64-bit version of Office is that it seems to cause all sorts of problems ;) Let me put it this way: I would not at all be surprised if this turns out to be the cause, but I have no idea why this should be so. I am going to try and find some time to make a version that catches the exception and does something more useful with it, but time is scarce ... Meanwhile, there are now also 2010 versions of the Sort Sections powertoy (http://blogs.msdn.co...or-onenote-2010.aspx) and the Sort Pages powertoy (http://blogs.msdn.co...e-2010.aspx#10125507). Maybe those will do for your needs.

Jan Roelof

koeg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 12:06 PM »
I'm getting the same error trying to install OneNote2010SortSetup.exe.

"The type initializer for 'JrOnomNamespace.OnenoteHierarchy' threw an exception."

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2010 32-bit.  I have .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed.

My goal is to sort pages by last modified date, or by creation date.  Sort Pages powertoy won't work because it only sorts alphabetically.

Thanks for your work on this project.

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35 AM »
I'm getting the same error trying to install OneNote2010SortSetup.exe.

"The type initializer for 'JrOnomNamespace.OnenoteHierarchy' threw an exception."

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2010 32-bit.  I have .NET Framework 4 Client Profile installed.

My goal is to sort pages by last modified date, or by creation date.  Sort Pages powertoy won't work because it only sorts alphabetically.

Thanks for your work on this project.

OK, I moved this up on my todo list. Thanks for wanting to try this ;)

Jan Roelof

Netalarm

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Awesome tool to power-up OneNote 2010! Keep up the good work, much appreciated.