topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Office 2010 Spell Checker Broken  (Read 2843 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Office 2010 Spell Checker Broken
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Okay, this crap just cost me an hour and a half  :mad: So, I thought I'd share the short answer with the rest of the class... ;)

Q. Office 2010 Professional Plus was installed on a Windows 7 system (mine) that previously had Office 2003 Professional. I  set the options in Outlook for Always Check Spelling Before Sending, but the only corrections done were capitalizing first letter in a sentence and days of the week. No misspelled words are corrected automatically or even manually in either Word or Outlook.  A manual spell check always finds no errors. Miscellaneous (Google) suggested repairs tried to no avail, so...

How can I activate the broken spell checker?

A. In the registry there is a folder named "override" (that shouldn't be there). Deleted it (make a backup first if you like) from the registry and now everything works just fine.

Here's the culprit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override

So moral is: Crash the Override and life is good(er)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Office 2010 Spell Checker Broken
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Weird - I don't have that key in my registry and I've never had a problem. FWIW, I upgraded a clean install of Office 2007 Enterprise to Office 2010 Professional Plus.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Office 2010 Spell Checker Broken
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:24 PM »
The impression I got was this is a (oddly common) 2k3 up issue. So I guess something changed in 2k7 that is still in 2010 so 2k7 to 2010 is fine but 2k3 to 2k7 or 2010 tends to break the spell check.