ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (123/192) > >>

Armando:

On my personal quests I have found many decent programs for #1 and #2 - all of which have been mentioned somewhere on this thread. But for #3 I haven't found anything, tried many outliners and write-oriented word processors... and end up not using them after a first "burst" of activity. And I don't have a mac so I cant try the sexiest program in that category :S
-iphigenie (September 19, 2007, 04:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Completely. That's what the thread Working with (display+format+restructure) big amount of data (text+graphics)? ) was all (or almost all...) about.

I’m pretty satisfied with my actual system, but I feel that its lacking some kind of automated index. Something like the Chapter by Chapter Word plug in, but with more features, the possibility of constructing more complex hierarchies. Or maybe just something along the lines of Ultra Recall, but without the hassle of broken links with external documents (when you move-rename files etc.). (Tag2find has pretty much solved the broken link problem for NTFS, but its alternate data stream technology didn’t make it yet in notetaking software or outliners…)

This thread too  is tackling with a similar problem, I believe   : In search of a more structured Microsoft Word (for collecting documents & notes)

ANYWAY… just some quick thoughts...

Armando:
It is the information manager that I use for the last 2 years (replacing Ecco), for note-taking, time-management, contact-management, billing, todo-lists and so features have and will be added, in part, because I need them for my own information management!
-PPLandry (September 19, 2007, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

...a very good sign.  :)

Plus unlike just about all other 'innovative software' the SQLNotes data is not locked up in some proprietary format. It now uses JET and could use another (SQLServer, mySQL, SQLite, SQLServer Express) eventually. So if dev. stops (it won't happen, but let us suppose), all your data is completely accessible.
-PPLandry (September 19, 2007, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now, this is very positive. Cnewtonne emphasized this aspect in the General brainstorming for Note-taking software and I totally agree with him :
[…]
- any given app must use an INDUSTRY known storage system or database. Do not let the eye-candy stuff distract you from how the app is storing data. Unfortunately, this information is not typically put on the front pages. Most of the time I have to dig deep in the web site to find it. But, I ALWAYS search this fact as the very first step. I can tell you at least of 5 apps I used where I lost my data in full or part.

- Do not use or invest in apps that are either dead of dying away. Unless you see and hear from the development team, do not even bother looking.
[…] -cnewtonne (May 20, 2007, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

PPLandry:
...a very good sign. 

Quote from: PPLandry on September 19, 2007, 09:03:51 PM
Plus unlike just about all other 'innovative software' the SQLNotes data is not locked up in some proprietary format. It now uses JET and could use another (SQLServer, mySQL, SQLite, SQLServer Express) eventually. So if dev. stops (it won't happen, but let us suppose), all your data is completely accessible.

Now, this is very positive.
--- End quote ---

Thanks! Ecco died when MS bundled Outlook into Office because some of the functionality of Ecco (the workgroup aspects) was now available for free and because corporate guys, having to choose between MS and Ecco would/will always choose MS. But Outlook is not Ecco, and all the outlining features, flexible database, etc died with Ecco, having no replacement.

SQLNotes fits in perfectly in that spot left open by Ecco dying away. None of the MS products handle that niche at all. So SQLNotes works in synergy with MS Office (or other office products to a certain extent). Excel can read SQLNotes grid views, Word can mail-merge SQLNotes data, Outlook can generate personnalized e-mails from SQLNotes, Access can view/use SQLNotes data and generate sophiticated reports, and drag-drop works between Office apps and SQLNotes.

But SQLNotes is not an Office add-on. It has many, many features all of it's own, including row and column calculations, pivot tables, charts, HTML Editor/browser, Import/Export, e-mail generation and Mail-merge, just to name a few.

Armando, I see that you've downloaded SQLNotes. Did it install correctly? Were you able to explore its features? Version 0.9.16 will be out in a few days, fixing bugs and improving many aspects, including outline fonts and charts

Armando:
Armando, I see that you've downloaded SQLNotes. Did it install correctly? Were you able to explore its features? Version 0.9.16 will be out in a few days, fixing bugs and improving many aspects, including outline fonts and charts
-PPLandry (September 20, 2007, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it did [install correctly]!
I didn't have enough time to get familiar with SQLNotes to make intelligent comments about it, but I will...
Probably during the weekend!
Let's just say that I'm impressed with what I saw. I'm eager to see the calendar functionnality when it's integrated.

Thanks for joining the discussion PPLandry! (and... my last post -- #661 --was supposed to be posted in the other thread... a mistake.  :-[ But not all that bad, after all...)

PPLandry:
Yes it did [install correctly]!
I didn't have enough time to get familiar with SQLNotes to make intelligent comments about it, but I will...
Probably during the weekend!
Let's just say that I'm impressed with what I saw. I'm eager to see the calendar functionnality when it's integrated.

Thanks for joining the discussion PPLandry! (and... my last post -- #661 --was supposed to be posted in the other thread... a mistake.  :-[ But not all that bad, after all...)
-Armando (September 20, 2007, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Call me Pierre (ou Pierre Paul pour les français...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version