ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (120/192) > >>

JaneDC:
hi. when was the review published?

Darwin:
There was no formal review of TreeDBNotes per se - just comments posted in this thread and a summary of this thread posted as a roundup here. The summary in the roundup states this about TreeDBNotes:

TreeDB is another EATKS* software.  It does everything, and is more of a PIM than a notetaking program.  Just its toolbar is enormous!  So many buttons!  It is pretty powerful, but it does way too much for me to say that it's a good notetaking software.
--- End quote ---

*EATKS = "Everything and the Kitchen Sink"

doublewitt:
TreeDBNotes PRO is not "simply and uniquely" a one-styled notes organizer, ofcourse, but TreeDB offers flexibility and versatility. The truth is, in the world of notes management, there are diversified opinions. Notes exist in many forms which properly include text notes, calendar event notes, todo notes, reminder notes, web clip notes, and so on. And basically, for me, anything I write down is a "note". You have all kinds of notes and the definition of a notes manager should be inclusive for all. That's what a real note-taking application should be. If you want to dissect notes by their characteristics and use a single application for each style of note, well, that's a different story. The problems related to that are endless...

A real PIM is exactly what the word says: a personal info manager. A notes software for texts "alone", is also a PIM - why? - because it's managing personal information as well. However, it's limited by definition and purpose. Ofcourse, that's just my opinion and I know some would disagree. But that's where it stands for me. Any notes manager is a PIM. I think that people got mixed up somewhere along the line and "branded" versatile notes managers as PIM's - but all are the same. I will never be satisfied using several applications to manage all my notes. That doesn't promote real efficiency. Basically, the most "important" aspect for me in notes management, is the ability to "consolidate" all my information in one central location. There are loads of advantages to that - experience would tell. Centralizing data helps to develop a powerful vision for notes management as recorded "data" is viewed. In turn, you can better harness data relationships and validate useful management resources. Consolidating data is optimal efficiency. Should I have a program for every kind of note? Quite frankly, I would say no... and quite frankly, I'm not interested in a wild goose chase for loads of softwares for every dissected "bit". You simply cannot be "organized" efficiently like that. So many people fail to see the importance of "consolidation" - they don't grasp it because they have been brain-washed by "standalone" propaganda.

Your focus is:  *ILLGC software

inefficient, low, level, goose chaser

Armando:
Interesting thoughts on the nature of note-taking software and PIMs. Thanks.

IMO, "Consolidation" (if I understand what you mean by that) is not always nice and is often a synonym of compromise (not always though! Not always!  :) ).

Yes, I tend to condense everything that has to do with goals, needs, projects, to-dos, calendar events, important reference lists, etc. in Outlook (for very pragmatic purpose : want to have access to that data with my Palm), but tend to keep everything else in separate documents (usually doc or pdf, for text). I have thousands of documents, and everything is easily accessible through an organizational system I've created for myself, using X1 and farr. I don’t really miss any true consolidated "database". (Well… not with the currently available solutions, and the compromises I feel I’d have to make ;  but I do keep my eyes open for potential solutions…). What I mostly miss is something that doesn't really exist : a consolidated, powerfull, full featured and lightweight interface to access everything on my computer. Something Like X1 meets farr meets Directory Opus meets tag2find, an interface that would use the whole file system as the back end for the ultimate PIM or Note Taking software (to paraphrase Jimdoria who said something similar, somewhere in this thread).

Anyway....I guess it all depends on what kind of info you want to store, how you want to be able to access it, and how you later want to use it. I've pondered for a while about whether I should use Ultra Recall, MyBase, TreeDBNotes PRO, etc. and if they would constitute viable solutions to my organizational problems. My (again.... very personal) conclusion (after trying many softwre for many weeks) is that they wouldn't really help me enough and would actually slow me down. These apps often impose many restrictions on data (tend to destroy formatting, makes duplication necessary or won't preserve links between their database and external documents, don’t have searching capabilities as powerful as dedicated desktop search tools, etc. etc.). So I've decided to keep it more simple, avoid unnecessary (for me) steps, and instead use the powerful desktop search software at hand + intelligent document naming + useful AHK scripts.

As for “note-taking” software per se (ie : software I use to just dump unclassified stuff)… well, I'm still using my note-taking software of choice (EverNote) BUT much less than I used to... and I tend to empty its database every week or so.

And... yes... Superboyac did a fantastic job with the note-taking software review, but it’s true that some of the description/analysis can seem a bit simplistic… but, hey, let’s admit that it would’ve been terribly hard to go into great details for each of the programs mentioned!!!! Not to mention, that this thread already contains details on many of the mentioned apps (if one is willing to search for them...)

Maybe you could offer a mini-review of TreeDBNotes? I’m sure people here would find it interesting.

Carol Haynes:
doublewitt - are you the author of TreeDBNotes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version