ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (117/192) > >>

Darwin:
I think Evernote's big strength, at least in my usage, is in saving webpages. I like it for saving things like purchase receipts. For notetaking, I use both TexNotes Pro and ZuluPad Pro. TexNotes Pro is great but in my opinion overly complex and ultimately will probably get the boot. I'm curious about Zoot, though... Looks interesting. Zoot meets Archivarius would be AWESOME as I am an Archivarius fan as well. It's emphasis is on text and speed...

rjbull:
I think Evernote's big strength, at least in my usage, is in saving webpages. I like it for saving things like purchase receipts.
-Darwin (July 31, 2007, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use Local Website Archive for that, but the usual "problem" is that it's treated as a new session and has to be logged in again, annoying if you already have the page you want in your main browser.  I sometimes work around that by saving the page to disk complete, adding that  copy to LWA, then deleting the temp files.  Does EverNote avoid the need to log in a second time?

Not that I can use the full version of EverNote at work anyway, because it needs administrative rights to install, which company policy doesn't give me.  But I've wondered about the portable (USB) version.

Darwin:
I know nothing about Surfulater, but note that it is going to be on offer at a discount here soon (sorry - read about it this morning and cannot now find the link!). Maybe this will fit the bill? It's an excellent notetaker in addition to checking webpages for changes and (I think) organizing your bookmarks. Might be worth a look anyway...

Wordzilla:
I know nothing about Surfulater, but note that it is going to be on offer at a discount here soon (sorry - read about it this morning and cannot now find the link!).
-Darwin (July 31, 2007, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9218.msg68253#msg68253   :)

Armando:
Zoot is for people who have an enormous amount of text they need to organized in a pretty uniquely powerful manner. -superboyac (July 31, 2007, 01:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I do have about 15 gb of text in various format (mainly rtf, txt, doc, djvu and pdf) I've gattered during the past 10 years for my studies, and I was never able to really test Zoot's legendary power on them [edit : not the whole 15gb, of course!! just a few docs...] -- I got the error "The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficent resources to continue running, blah blah blah...". Anyway.

Regarding EverNote… Because of some of its limitations, and because I don't like software functions duplication, I use EverNote almost exclusively for notes that, for various reasons, I don't want to classify immediatly. But I empty my EverNote database every week and file everything before it becomes out of control. So, everything else -- well, almost -- is perfectly named and organized, and instantly found with X1/archivarius, Farr/locate. I almost don't use any other applications as far as searching goes; I still miss a better tagging system though (I use tags in  filenames, it works well, but it's not optimal for various reasons — tag2find might be what I’m looking for, eventually… when its new version comes out), a good way of managing virtual folders and cloning files, other ways of displaying info, etc.

Zoot meets X1 is nice to think about, but don't bet on it.  I don't think Zoot will be an indexer of any type in the near future.  I like Archivarius for indexing.
-superboyac (July 31, 2007, 01:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I won't bet on Zoot meets X1...  I was not thinking of zoot becoming an indexer. But I’m a bit sick of having to import my stuff into different databases (and loosing formating and other usefull tweakings in the process) to be able to use the organizing power of some software. That's the main reason why I never really bought into any of the Ultra Recall, myBase, etc. solutions... And even EverNote, to some extent, since I only keep around 40-50 notes max in there, for very practical reason (at some point, I had 800 notes in there — which, I’m sure, is much less than other EverNote’s users — and it literally became a nightmare; I really *hated* to work with such a a big amount of “pseudo classified” notes, and now I’m pretty much back to a more conservative way of working but so very much  more efficient…). Being able to find/see everything with one or two software -- x1/archivarius --, is much more powerful. My database is my file system (the discussion went in that direction at some point in this thread -- regrettably, it was dismissed...).

And, yes, Archivarius is good : not too resource hungry, deals well with huge documents, cheap for students, etc. But as far as its features go, it really lacks at least 2 or 3 extremely useful things that X1 has : to be able to memorize searches and settings (for the various searches) AND create “virtual folders” for these searches and organize them in folder trees. So,  I mainly use X1… but always keep Archivarius there, ready to rescue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version