ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (96/192) > >>

rjbull:
Another much requested capability which has been added in this release is the ability to use Surfulater as a Free Knowledge Base Reader. This lets you share your Knowledge Bases with friends and colleagues who aren’t necessarily interested in purchasing Surfulater.
-nevf (May 07, 2007, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

nevf,

Being able to share information is vitally important.  A freely-distributable reader is great news     :Thmbsup:

edbro:
Just noticed this today at Google Labs:
http://www.google.com/googlenotebook/overview.html
Seems like a lightweight solution compared to some of the apps discussed here, but an interesting idea anyway.
-Jimdoria (June 13, 2006, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know this is an old post but why do you think this is a lightweight solution?

I have tried several different solutions from copying each note to an individual pdf, to NeoMem, and then to Evernote and lastly, I might try to keep everything online with Google Notebook. I like the idea of having all my notes accessible from anywhere on the web. Plus, my Evernote database is now huge and everytime I add a note, the entire file needs to be backed up again.

Don't ask me why I keep changing my approach because I don't know why. Each has worked well for me. Does anybody here use Google Notebook for their entire collection of notes and clippings?

JerryH:
Hello all...
I've been looking for "Frankenote" for a number of years now. I just checked the 'create date' on the xls I started keeping research notes in: Sept 5, 2004!  Wouldn't it have been nice to have Frankenote handy for almost 3 years of research? :-[ 

I came across this forum several months ago and have worked my way thru all the posts, downloading and trying out programs I hadn't run across in prior research, going back and checking out programs for a 2nd or 3rd time after reading someone's review/post.

:Thmbsup: KUDOS to SuperboyAC and all who have contributed.  This forum is a great resource and has really helped me to focus on what it is I want and need in a notetaking app... I may actually make a final decision soon !

Aram, I think you oughta copywrite "Frankenote"  .  Best name I've seen for our wonder program!

BTW (and the reason I started this post)

Surfulator to be offered thru Bits du Jour http://bitsdujour.com/blog2/wordpress/?cat=7  on May 22, 2007. Don't know the discount yet, but 40% or more is not unusual

cnewtonne:
Excellent work and contributions. I've been searching and examining this category of software for over 6 years now. I've seen new apps enter the  market and others die away. If I want to summarize my contribution after all these years, I have to say this ...

I have years and years worth of content that is so priceless. I can even envision this content to last for years to come even after I depart this life to be shared by my grand children. So, be extremely careful where you put your data. Use these guidelines ...

- any given app must use an INDUSTRY known storage system or database. Do not let the eye-candy stuff distract you from how the app is storing data. Unfortunately, this information is not typically put on the front pages. Most of the time I have to dig deep in the web site to find it. But, I ALWAYS search this fact as the very first step. I can tell you at least of 5 apps I used where I lost my data in full or part.

- Do not use or invest in apps that are either dead of dying away. Unless you see and hear from the development team, do not even bother looking.
- Listen to other users input, but ALWAYS rely on your own. Install the app and test it for yourself. I have some apps that I installed several times and they never appealed to me based on feedback I read on the forums. It was only when I installed it for the 6th time till I realized how much I was missing. I regretted the time I lost without really knowing any better about that specific app.

Once you get past these 3 conditions, then you need a solution that can satisfy these 3 operations ...

- capture content from most if not all sources
- organize it (physically and logically)
- share it in multiple formats.

Any app that does not have a clear list of features to do these operations, should be ruled out. This should really eliminate a good deal of these distractor and intruder apps.

Now you are left with the serious contenders ... for these look for the following ...

- performance. Does what it does in an acceptable time.
- Stability: un-handled exceptions and crashes.
- Security: you do want to have your data selectively protected. If not today, believe me, you will tomorrow. The very least I would expect is to have the DB files in binary format. I just can not comprehend these apps that put your data in xml, HTML, or some flat file system where any one can simply open them up in notepad.

Based on all of the above, few of the apps qualified. I have put them to the test for years and none has failed me ...

- MyBase: Almost 4 years of usage with not a SINGLE crash. I have not lost a single word in all my databases. I have collected over 5 GB of data and they are as safe today as they were 4 years ago. The developer truly has spent over 2 years working on the DB engine itself and it paid off. Top of bread.

- UltraRecall: Again, over 2 years of usage and I'm happy with it. Using solid rock DB engine and great deal of DK development, the team has delivered a fine product to the world. The fact that I can dump thousands of articles in one folder and later tag this content is absolutely great. On top of this content, sits almost a hundred view and subviews. The logical linking they provide is unparalleled.

I read the thread in its entirety and I would rather liked it to discuss the subject and the candidate app with some more depth and analysis. But if anything, it certainly a good start for any one who's interested to know more about this category of software.

Thank you.

superboyac:
Based on all of the above, few of the apps qualified. I have put them to the test for years and none has failed me ...

- MyBase: Almost 4 years of usage with not a SINGLE crash. I have not lost a single word in all my databases. I have collected over 5 GB of data and they are as safe today as they were 4 years ago. The developer truly has spent over 2 years working on the DB engine itself and it paid off. Top of bread.

- UltraRecall: Again, over 2 years of usage and I'm happy with it. Using solid rock DB engine and great deal of DK development, the team has delivered a fine product to the world. The fact that I can dump thousands of articles in one folder and later tag this content is absolutely great. On top of this content, sits almost a hundred view and subviews. The logical linking they provide is unparalleled.
-cnewtonne (May 20, 2007, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great post, cnewtonne.  I have a question for you that would be very useful for me...Can you describe in detail what would make a user choose mybase or ultrarecall?  I would be interested in what applications one is better for than the other.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version