ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (94/192) > >>

superboyac:
Regarding EverNote's new 2.0 release...

Is it me, or is EN becoming eerily similar to the old Zoot?  Think about it, with the new note-titles that evernote just added, it is now a 3-pane notetaker (of which there are very few) and has many other similar features:

* 3-pane layout (categories in left-pane, note-titles in top-right pane, and note content in bottom-right pane

* find-as-you-type search feature.  Both of them are good, but a little different in their implementation.

* Auto-categories, where notes will automatically get categorized based on a user-defined rules or filters.  Zoot's features in this area are much more powerful, I must say.

* Content capturing capabilities.

I mean, the similarities between the two programs are striking.  Unfortunately, the development of Zoot has been excruciatingly slow, while EN has remained very modern and updated (being a much newer application).  Zoot has a lot of people (a cult, even) that has been dying for the author (the "Admiral") to update the 16-bit interface to 32-bit.  It has literally taken years.  Now, EN has just about caught up in features.  I would think the Admiral would have a little bit more pressure to finish up, but I guess we will just have to wait.  Furthermore, Zoot is quite expensive (~$100) and EN is free or $50 for the full-version which just allows some support for handwritten notes and a couple of other features that most users really don't need.

I don't want to criticize Zoot, because I have no idea what is involved in writing software, but it just seems like it has taken a really long time.  It's a great software, but if you wait long enough, a viable alternative will eventually come along.  I hope Zoot gets updated soon.

paulobrabo:

I think the problem was in the RichEdit control the author used.  The latest beta of MemPad 3.2 offers a work-around by making nodes lockable, so you can't change the text by accident:

-rjbull (April 30, 2007, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, rjbull, for the heads up. Updated already.

Strange to know that the program uses the RichEdit control when it works with plain text only. You crazy programmers, always trying to lure us end-user from our ignorant bliss.

Thank you nonetheless :Thmbsup:

Cheers from Brazil

Paulo Brabo

rjbull:
Updated already.
-paulobrabo (May 02, 2007, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Paulo Brabo,

MemPad beta's been updated again today   :)

rjbull:
-superboyac (May 01, 2007, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

superboyAC,

467 posts in this thread, no definitive answer...  Given that Frankenote doesn't exist (yet), and sometime you have to get real work done, which program(s) have committed to?  One can't run several equivalents side by side indefinitely.

<gulp>  I just realised I do something close to that   :-[

superboyac:
-superboyac (May 01, 2007, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
superboyAC,

467 posts in this thread, no definitive answer...  Given that Frankenote doesn't exist (yet), and sometime you have to get real work done, which program(s) have committed to?  One can't run several equivalents side by side indefinitely.

<gulp>  I just realised I do something close to that   :-[
-rjbull (May 03, 2007, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
rjbull, if I understood your question correctly, you are asking what I use for notetaking?  Well, here:

* If I come across something that I want to save (random text, internet article), I'll usually just dump it in evernote.  I don't organize at all beyond this point, just dump it in because I know it's easy to find later

* If it's something more important that I know I need to keep long-term (passwords, software license details, important information about music, etc.) I'll stick it in my favorite tree-hierarchy program.  This used to be Mybase, but I think I am moving towards TexNotes Pro because it seems like it is much more powerful (albeit slower).

That's what I currently do.  I don't have a problem using several applications.  I'd rather use 3 very good applications than one sort of good application, even if it means spreading out the information.  I'll take quality over convenience, especially if the inconvenience is manageable.

All that being said, Zoot is a program that doesn't get talked about a lot.  There's good reason for it because it's getting developed at the pace of a crippled snail.  But IF it ever does get updated, it would be interesting because you can do a lot with it.  It's like Evernote, but more powerful.  I can (potentially) see myself combining the information I have in Evernote and mybase (or texnotes) into an updated Zoot.  The only thing I'll miss is Texnotes unbelievably awesome formatting options.  Man, Texnotes is the most polished of all these applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version