ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (88/192) > >>

JohnFredC:
I have searched the forum and found no reference to my "main man" note taker tool!  All this good info and no mention of my favorite tool.  Wild!

Try Infostore from MHSoftware ($19).

I am a big KeyNote fan (and formerly a TreePad fan, too), still use it daily...  but I hate the way it and ALL other notetakers I have tried implement tables... except InfoStore.

InfoStore tables are flat file databases!  Yep, each node in the tree can be a table, with field definitions, checkboxes, picklists, sorting.  You can define and store/load table templates, too!

InfoStore also supports RTF notes and drag and drop between the hierarchy of nodes.  Autobackup.  Passwords.

InfoStore hasn't been updated in a while and is really bare-bones: the printing options are limited and there is no way to populate a picklist from a table stored in another node.  But it is very attractively designed, easy to use.

Give it a try.  If you are a hierarchical/list/note person, InfoStore is excellent.  Down with passive tables!!!!

superboyac:
I have searched the forum and found no reference to my "main man" note taker tool!  All this good info and no mention of my favorite tool.  Wild!
--- End quote ---
JohnFredC, welcome to the discussion.  Yes, I missed quite a few programs in my review; some more prominent than others.  What's wild is that after all this discussion, more and more programs keep coming up that I had no idea about.  It's just insane how many of these there are out there.

Of course, I was aware of this before even starting the whole discussion, which is why I planned on doing multiple reviews for notetakers.  I think the time has come for another one, but it's a lot of work, and I'm trying to figure out how I should present the information in the second.

I'll try to be more and more complete in the future reviews.

JohnFredC:
Though I don't use it any more (KeyNote imported all my trees successfully, many years ago) I still keep up with TreePad.  It is a little garish to look at but whiz bang with features.  The Lite version is free.

If I could have a combination of TreePad, InfoStore, and KeyNote, in one application... I'd be in hog heaven.

What's missing from all of these apps however is a competent outliner. There is a big difference between hierarchical/tree-based document management and outlining.

PCOutline and Grandview (wonderful DOS outliners from the 80's)  really set my standards for outliners.  There is a Windows PC Outline out there, but development was abandoned before the (many, serious) bugs were expunged.

However, I just discovered Bonsai, a Palm outliner tool that has a Windows desktop version.  It looks promising.

s630417:
I would like to recommend a software called CodeLib .NET
this is a powerful knowledge manager (all in one, easy use, powerful and new technology)...
http://s630417.myweb.hinet.net/CodeLib.htm

rjbull:
I still keep up with TreePad.  It is a little garish to look at but whiz bang with features.  The Lite version is free.
-JohnFredC (March 13, 2007, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use Treepad Lite a bit.  It's a nice little app, and when you do a Ctrl-F search, it produces a "table" of hits.  For modest data sets, this goes a some way towards offsetting what is for me is a serious (deal-breaking) lack in many these apps, namely, absence of even a modest attempt at Boolean searching.  Last time I looked, even the payware version of Treepad didn't have that.  I want a tool for storing and retrieving large numbers of fairly random notes, most of which have very little to do with each other.  Ability to organise notes or make outlines is (usually) barely relevant to me.

I believe a portable version of Treepad Lite is planned.  Apart from Boolean search, I'd like it to have a better hyperlink system (what it has works, but is clumsy).  I still have and occasionally use Memory Mate for DOS, which does have simple Boolean search and easy insertion of hyperlinks.  All these years later and there still isn't anything as low-drag?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version