ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (174/192) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks Dormouse for that information.  You won't let this thread die!!

Interesting about TreeDBNotes.  i agree it is a very comfortable program for note taking, one of the best.  I've been dedicated to RightNote for a year now, but I also consider TreeDB in the group that belongs at the top of the list.

rjbull:
@Dormouse
Many thanks for taking the trouble to write such a detailed description of why you use which program.  It's a fine example of why I think this thread is rather stalled: there just isn't any One Program to Rule Them All  :(

I too use several programs, never finding one I was happy to commit to exclusively.  My usage is mostly data storage, especially of web clips, for which EverNote 2.2 is very good, especially when you need graphics and live hyperlinks.  I just wish it wasn't orphaned...  and I don't need the cloud.  Yet, you made me realise I tend to use a different program for self-generated text notes and plain-text clips than I do for web clips.

I never really used a word processor, preferring editors for writing and editing text.  Sometimes I had to massage it for printing, but as work moved from paper to e-mail, that became irrelevant.  Windows word processors seem to lean too much towards desktop publishing rather than efficient text creation and editing.  I mostly used my old DOS programs, PC-Write and VDE, both WordStar-style editor/word processors, quick and efficient.  I was interested in your use of TreeDBNotes for writing, and wondered if you'd ideally have preferred a single-pane outliner like Noteliner?  Which seems a more natural way to operate than two-pane?

Dormouse:
@Dormouse
Windows word processors seem to lean too much towards desktop publishing rather than efficient text creation and editing.  -rjbull (December 02, 2012, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree completely.

I too use several programs, never finding one I was happy to commit to exclusively.  My usage is mostly data storage, especially of web clips, for which EverNote 2.2 is very good, especially when you need graphics and live hyperlinks. -rjbull (December 02, 2012, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, Evernote 2.2 remains a good program.
And when you wish it weren't orphaned, it is quite conspicuous how few of the programs in this sector are being actively developed - a minority of those I use.

I was interested in your use of TreeDBNotes for writing, and wondered if you'd ideally have preferred a single-pane outliner like Noteliner?  Which seems a more natural way to operate than two-pane?
-rjbull (December 02, 2012, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I hadn't come across it. I've had a quick look and don't think it's for me. I'm usually working on many things at once, and I do need to bring in external documents as well. And I like a very rich environment in terms of buttons, because I'm far happier using the mouse than the keyboard - which I only need for typing; and I don't even need it much for that if I'm dictating direct. And TreeDBNotes gives me a large single pane for when I do purely want to concentrate on one thing.

I actually like lots of panes generally. When I use Ultra Recall, I have all the panes open nearly all the time and I like Shellless Explorer and Q-Dir because they have more panes than Dopus or XY, even though they have less power.

superboyac:
OK...I feel like the "best in class" notetakers are:
treedbnotes
rightnote
evernote 2.2
cintanotes
infoqube

just for my own info, i like to keep track.

wraith808:
All of those fall short for me in the area that I need most- syncing across devices, and the ability to use them there.  Rightnote is the closest for me of those, but I haven't given it a good trial.  Because my primary concern is having my notes where ever I am, I use Evernote and Simplenote/Resophnote/everything that syncs with simplenote.  I guess it really is a matter of what you need and your priorities, and since Syncing across platforms is my number one priority, those are the ones that I continue to go back to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version