ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (59/192) > >>

longrun:
Thanks for the suggestion, Carol, but I don't think Net Snippets is for me.

Perry Mowbray:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if I missed it) is scanner support/document imaging.
-longrun (July 05, 2006, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes I agree!

Why should there be any conceptual difference between items I capture from the web and those I scan from printed matter?
--- End quote ---

Why indeed? I certainly can't see a reason, and there are many reasons why physical documents should be included. Add various OCR options and the data gets very usable.

I have just finished writing the first official roundup of this thread.
-superboyac (July 05, 2006, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm keen to see the final output!! Is it something that will be developed into a working brief to be developed (here)???

rjbull:
Add various OCR options and the data gets very usable.
-pmowbray (July 06, 2006, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The for-pay version of Evernote has OCR built in.  They say it's for handwriting recognition, and support various pen input devices; no immediately obvious mention of scanners.

I'm keen to see the final output!! Is it something that will be developed into a working brief to be developed (here)???

--- End quote ---

:D

Perry Mowbray:
Reviewing what I’m after: A Personal Information Management System

Let’s put some order behind what I’m after.

-willyram (July 05, 2006, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nicely put! You touched on this but I wouldn't mind fleshing it out a little:

Functionality: Where do we keep the data?
Portability, in one form or another, should be a requirement. Portability could be gained by implementing one or more of the following:

* Able to run from portable media: Take your notes with you, take notes at work, library, etc
* Ability to merge, synchronize, insert, etc data file(s): Manage portable notes back into main file
* Ability to store and use data file(s) from an internet location: Share your notes
* File structures that allow collaboration and usage by multiple users (within reason): Team notes
* I guess having a full web-based application would be pretty neat too: Maximum collaboration via web

longrun:
The for-pay version of Evernote has OCR built in.  They say it's for handwriting recognition, and support various pen input devices; no immediately obvious mention of scanners.
--- End quote ---

I didn't read the whole manual, but searching on scanner, TWAIN, and OCR gave no results, and use of scanner as an input option isn't listed. I don't actually care much about OCR, but do care about scanning articles, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version