ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

General brainstorming for Note-taking software

<< < (170/192) > >>

longrun:
Now I see the connection. I'd never thought of Excel in terms of note-taking and was frankly was unaware of the changes to the ribbon. I tend to stick to what works for me, including Info Select v5 (with notes going back to 1990 or earlier) and lately CintaNotes.

TaoPhoenix:
Aye, the tree programs biggest weakness is in table-format notes. They work better for hierarchy notes.

Someone was talking about importing spreadsheets into tree program, at which point I almost say: why bother? Just write a spreadsheet.

Have one of each.

J-Mac:
RightNote has spreadsheets in it. Just sayin'.

Jim

Darwin:

Cause someone mentioned a favorite program being better now because of the ability to customize its ribbon... Surely you saw that?
-J-Mac (May 17, 2012, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

What I saw was that Excel 2010 now had that ability, so I wasn't sure how that pertained to note-taking. Maybe I missed something.
-longrun (May 17, 2012, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I've mentioned it about Excel 2010 now too. Meanwhile, depending on "what a note is", if you don't need the tree concept, then Excel is stunning for other kinds of notes - its very "chartiness" lets you make endless little tables of info, but now with the new Customizable Ribbon all the excruciating top-down misery of 2007's ribbon goes away, and scary-to-me, some unseen pain of the old menus does too. So sometimes speed is a feature in note taking, and with a custom ribbon, on certain types of notes you can blaze like Ghostrider through your information because of all of Excel's Info-Shuffling.

-TaoPhoenix (May 17, 2012, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny, I was a bit lukewarm about the ribbon at first. Recently, however, I had to work on a computer with Office 2007 installed and was using Outlook and Publisher without the ribbon. Drove me bonkers! It's all what you get used to - I can't go back to life without the ribbon. Really like it now...

excev:
Speaking about taking notes in Excel, you can try XLnotes add-in that allows to take notes with Word documants, web pages and attachments. Great if you wanted to have pictures/documents in your comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version